Connecticut!

Jen- I would love to see your setup too. I am very interested in hearing how much landscaping is needed to actually protects the flock. I have this barren space that I am debating whether to landscape or fence in. Maybe we could head over to Ridgefield together one day. There really needs to be a Funky Chicken Coop Tour in CT like there is in other parts of the country.

Hey I'd love to be included in that tour! I have 5 chickens in a chicken tractor with an 8X5 footprint (pics on my page). The girls pretty much have the run of my fenced back yard, which also has enough landscaping to give them cover from the hawks, which so far are the only predators in the yard-although i've seen fox and other critters in the woods that my yard backs to.

I have some beautiful americauna /black copper maran crosses, fondly named olive eggers to sell. They are 6 weeks old I think ( I will have to check on that, my memory is a bit flawed) and they are very active foragers and happy little chicks. These were hatched out for me and shipped at 1 day old. I have 7 of them and I can only keep perhaps 3. Looking for $4 per chick, straight run and I will sell no less than 2 at a time so they have a companion.

We also hatched out 4 lemon cuckoo orpington chicks from shipped fertile eggs and we will need to keep only one. They are still little at 3 weeks old, but I will be ok with selling them when they get to be a couple weeks older. They are with the flock and their "mommy", our Silkie hen.

Please PM me if you or anyone you know is interested.

Ridgefield did have a coop tour last year, we were on it. I don't know why they didn't do it this year. We had a fair amount of people. We'll do our own mini tour with the 3 of us. I can also take you all over to Garden of Ideas coop too. It's much larger than mine.

Jen- I would love to see your setup too. I am very interested in hearing how much landscaping is needed to actually protects the flock. I have this barren space that I am debating whether to landscape or fence in. Maybe we could head over to Ridgefield together one day. There really needs to be a Funky Chicken Coop Tour in CT like there is in other parts of the country.

Coop tours sound like fun.

I started our coop on Saturday because our 2.5 week old chicks are out growing their daily container! With my wifes help I got the framing done. Tomorrow I should be able to get the roof and siding up.

The coop is 6' x 8', simple shed style. One wall is 8' and the other is 6'. I salvaged an antique door from the barn rafters. Windows are all salvaged. I found a 6' long multi-pane window at the transfer station. That is going on the south side of the coop. I had been saving some old ornate multi-pane windows, but they are too far gone to use. Took a ride to habitat for humanity Re-Store and got two windows for cheap.

I'll have to post up some pics. I cant wait to see the little guys running around in the coop!

Large Flow cover 15-21 eggs , i put 15 eggs under Black Copper Marans and 21 for Orpington.

Little blue, thanks for the tip. I actually found some materials around the house today (thanks to my better half for the suggestion), and I built a cage/partition to keep her from being bothered by the others. She's intent on sitting (currently with a wooden egg and maybe an infertile one of her own), so I'll get some fertile ones and let her heed nature's calling. How many do you think it appropriate for her to cover? She's a plump Wyandotte, so I'm thinking 6 or 8.

we dont like our hens to raise more then 6 on there own.she could hatch probaly 10-12 but i would take half an raise them inside once they hatch.if you would like some fertile eggs we can give u some.we live in mansfield will be in hadam neck sunday for the show.

Anyone interested in PQ Silkie-Mix Chicks? Chicks are mixed White Silkie Roo with Welsummer, Salmon Faverolle, Speckled Sussex, White Cochin, Golden Campine, Barred Rock, Dominique, Golden-Laced Wyandotte, Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Ameraucana, Black Australorp, or Silkie Hen. I have 14 of them that are almost 5 weeks old. $5 each or 6 for $25. Straight Run Only. For Pickup Only in CT. Serious Inquiries Only. Send PM if interested.

Pardon me everyone, but I need to vent. I've had the little CT chicken gathering on the 22nd marked on my calendar for weeks and have really been looking forward to it. Especially since my chickens don't arrive until June - I need to live vicariously. And yet, graduate school wins. A professor had mistakenly told us we'd have more time before our final exam and case study deadline , but no. As we recently found out, that was an error and everything had to move up by a week! I am in academic hell and will be locked to my chair for the entire weekend most likely. Writing awful papers. Citing in APA format.

All attendees on Sunday, feel free to post cute chicken pictures. Sigh. One more week and I can breathe.

the price of higher education!
Pardon me everyone, but I need to vent. I've had the little CT chicken gathering on the 22nd marked on my calendar for weeks and have really been looking forward to it. Especially since my chickens don't arrive until June - I need to live vicariously. And yet, graduate school wins. A professor had mistakenly told us we'd have more time before our final exam and case study deadline , but no. As we recently found out, that was an error and everything had to move up by a week! I am in academic hell and will be locked to my chair for the entire weekend most likely. Writing awful papers. Citing in APA format.
All attendees on Sunday, feel free to post cute chicken pictures. Sigh. One more week and I can breathe.

Back
Top Bottom