Connecticut!

http://www.connecticutpoultrybreederssociety.com/index.html

The website hasn't been updated yet on the new years date but the location is the same. I am on the show committee and will know more after this weekend
celebrate.gif

Where will the show be located at?

NORWICH AGWAY posted to Facebook that they will have chicks/ducklings on the 15th of March: Pekin ducklings, Barred Rocks, RIR, Araucana and Dixie Rainbows as the guest breed, which will change each shipment (no word on how often shipments arrive)

Don't be mislead by hatcheries. Those are not Araucanas they will be selling they are Easter eggers no hatchery in the US breed large quantity of true rumpless tufted araucanas as they carry the lethal tufted gene and only 50% hatch rate. Sorry to be negative I just hate when they mis inform like this grrr

I'm so sorry to hear that Fuzzy. A similar thing happened to my neighbor the other day too. One of his healthy roo's was out free ranging with his flock. When my neighbor went out to check on him he was back in the coop but had died. COD is unknown. No broken neck. Completely healthy without neurological signs an hour earlier when he last saw him.

the likely culprit, other than the possibility of poisoning, may have been a hawk. We unfortunately have a couple resident Cooper's hawks that I see frequently. We think the hawk may have "bludgeoned" the roo during its attack but the roo got away. I've lost two of my hens to hawks. Never an easy thing. My flock of 5 now stay in a nicely sized coop and run and I haven't lost them since.

Again, my condolences.

So sorry for you loss. When a pullet or hen passes away unexpectedly like that with no previous signs of ailment expect maybe they are more laid back and easier going than your other chickens, 9 times out of ten its a genetic organ defect like congestive heart failure or internal laying from two narrow pubic bones.

Here in CT we are fortunate to have Uconn and if things like this happen more than once you can opt for a necropsy. Yrs you do have to pay for it. It's roughly 95-200 depending on how in depth you ask them to look at the bird. Just be sure to put the bird in a ziplock bag or container and in the fridge NOT freezer and call 860-713-2505 and ask how to get a poultry necropsy done.

If your ok with processing your own birds then you can do your own informal necropsy and check for organ issues or internal laying due to a couple of reasons.

Best Wishes for the rest of your birds and hopefully this is just a fluke incident.
I lost a chicken today. She was fine this AM, ate, up with the rest, and when I came home 4hrs later she was dead.  She had not show any signs of being sick.

I found her under her coop, sitting with her head on the ground, ( like she was pecking the ground for food). Her buddy chicken was with her, guarding her.

:hit Willow was her name, and she was my favorite.

So sorry for you loss. When a pullet or hen passes away unexpectedly like that with no previous signs of ailment expect maybe they are more laid back and easier going than your other chickens, 9 times out of ten its a genetic organ defect like congestive heart failure or internal laying from two narrow pubic bones.

Here in CT we are fortunate to have Uconn and if things like this happen more than once you can opt for a necropsy. Yrs you do have to pay for it. It's roughly 95-200 depending on how in depth you ask them to look at the bird. Just be sure to put the bird in a ziplock bag or container and in the fridge NOT freezer and call 860-713-2505 and ask how to get a poultry necropsy done.

If your ok with processing your own birds then you can do your own informal necropsy and check for organ issues or internal laying due to a couple of reasons.

Best Wishes for the rest of your birds and hopefully this is just a fluke incident.

+1. Great advice. Always better to make sure it's not something that may affect the rest of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom