Connecticut!

Mine were hatched out on 8/8 so I'm thinking next few weeks? The only ones that seem to have the wattle color change so far is my BR Austolorp and the BO are getting redder combs & waddle. All Brown layers so it will still be a mystery when I finally happens (who) My EE will be obvious. However the egg color will be a nice suprise
1f60a.png

I only have chickens so please excuse my ignorance on ducks. Do your ducks sleep on a pond at night? Would they be happy doing so? We live on a still waterway (a river that is dammed into a lake that a good part of a mike away spills into the sound). Could they be rehomed somewhere like that or do they need to be taken in every night like chickens? We have a dozen or so mallards and two mute white swans who live out back but they are all wild.

Can't wait for the cold to god away, along with the snow and ice! My hose keeps freezing and my poor ducks and chickens are doing a lot of sitting in their houses due to it. Poor things. Spring can't come quite soon enough, although I will have to get rid of two of my drakes due to a poor Hen to drake ratio.

(Also if anyone wants a healthy Pekin drake I got two)
1f602.png
1f642.png

I only have chickens so please excuse my ignorance on ducks. Do your ducks sleep on a pond at night? Would they be happy doing so? We live on a still waterway (a river that is dammed into a lake that a good part of a mike away spills into the sound). Could they be rehomed somewhere like that or do they need to be taken in every night like chickens? We have a dozen or so mallards and two mute white swans who live out back but they are all wild.

It's perfectly fine, that's what byc is for! I wouldn't recommend just leaving domestic ducks outside without having a home where they can go and escape the elements/predators. Especially large breed ducks because they can't fly. I don't have my chickens mixed with my ducks because my drake(s) and rooster don't always get along, but I do have a house for my ducks that I lock up at night just so that they don't get attacked or eaten by anything. Free ranging which is what it sounds like you want to do would be fine but, you would need a shelter for them to return to at night that can be locked up for the previously mentioned reasons. I used to free range mine until a fox got one of my hens and I almost lost my drake. I mean I don't know what you're interested in but there is also indoor ducks.

Apologies for the wordy response. I hope I was somewhat helpful. Also feel free to ask about anything else. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability, and I'm sure if I can't someone else will help! :)

Will contact you most def. I wish I could do more than 6 but my brinsea only holds 7 (6 with hygrometer). Also my coop fits 10 and I already have 7 that I am keeping. I am trying to rehome my roosters if you know of anyone. Wyandotte/barred rock mix.
Edited by gbartha - Yesterday at 11:43 pm
It is hard to rehome roosters, especially this time of year with so many people giving them away. I have culled many really nice pure blooded Ameraucana, Copper Marans and Legbars while only managing to rehome 1.
Right now I am fighting hard not to cull a white sport Legbar. they are rare but just dont have the room for him, and a few others.
If someone isnt willing to give you five to 10 rehoming fee they are usually just looking for free meat. I might as well feed my family.
I put an ad on craigs list and a guy said he would take them all because they sounded like they would be good breeders for his flock. Now mind you I had like fifteen roosters of various ages and breeds. He wanted them all but wouldnt tell me what kind of chickens he had. When I told him they would be five dollars each I never heard from him again. I remembered him trying to do the same thing last year. Good luck

Windy, Did you ever find a home for your legbar? We are down to 5. My easter egger was a male and we got rid of our maran rooster. I will be looking for some eggs for the spring (april). What do you think you will have available? I will be looking for an even dozen, 6 olive eggers and 6 of your bluest genes (either the legbar or wheaten ameracuana). I am assuming they will all be blue when I get them but the olive egger will lay olive eggs once mature. Which has the best temperament? I have 3 buffs and 2 barred rock mixes.

Hi gbartha No, I didn't get to re home the white sport Legbar rooster but couldn't bring myself to cull him either. I thought I could list him on craigs list during the NORTHEASTERN POULTRY CONGRESS at the big E which I just realized is Jan 14 and 15. If not I will put him in a pen with some hens this spring when I will have eggs (and some chicks) for Blue Black Splash Ameraucanas and Copper Marans, Wheaten Ameraucanas, Legbars and White Sport Legbars along with some easter egger and olive egger crosses.

Hi gbartha No, I didn't get to re home the white sport Legbar rooster but couldn't bring myself to cull him either. I thought I could list him on craigs list during the NORTHEASTERN POULTRY CONGRESS at the big E which I just realized is Jan 14 and 15. If not I will put him in a pen with some hens this spring when I will have eggs (and some chicks) for Blue Black Splash Ameraucanas and Copper Marans, Wheaten Ameraucanas, Legbars and White Sport Legbars along with some easter egger and olive egger crosses.
Fantastic. Is he your only roo? I would love to hatch some wheaten ameraucanas and maybe some legbars. Which would you say lay better? I have heard 2-3 times a week for both but some breeding lines are better than others. Do you have photos of your chickens and egg color?

Back
Top Bottom