Connecticut!

Just found this thread. I have been a member since I think last year. My name is Liz. My cousin Jenn and I had 8 hens up til yesterday when we lost 1. We live in Danbury CT. I do a lot of the taking care of the chickens right now due to Jenns son being seriously unwell. I was more of the researcher for her like if there was a problem she couldnt solve with the chickens I would come here or just other sites and look for answers or make calls. I now am more involved. I do own 3 of the chickens myself. I have a half silkie, not sure what the other half is, farmer wasnt sure, a new hampshere red, and hmm the other name has slipped my mind right now. Not good with remembering what they lol.. haha.. need to write them down.
well welcome to the CT thread. I have found this group of folks very helpful. I am sure you will enjoy the thread.

Smitty, that's a rooster.

Cooper hawks are weak unless you got chicks in the yard but the red tails are the ones to worry about. They seem to be the true young chick/pullet killer.
A cooper hawk is what ate my Marbles. I've been told that they are bold lil suckers. Love chickens. I have had a red tail tease my flock a few times. Do a downward swoop at them.... I hate em near my girls!

These 3 hawks were freaking my chickens out a few minutes ago. I wish I could have gotten a better picture but then that means they would be WAY too close for comfort.
I was gonna say vultures, no need to worry.

Goodness, now I'm going to worry that our bird feeder is really just going to be a way to "feed" songbirds to the hawks.... : )

I was watering a front garden yesterday and I spotted (I presume a RT Hawk) circling above. I called our Papillon to my side and made for the coop enclosure in the backyard. At that time the hawk was circling out across the road and tree line. All of a sudden I had 2 more enter the sky. They eventually flew off?! My bird feeder, 100+ yards from the coop never occurred to me. It's been an active station for the almost 2 yrs. it's been where it is.
:celebrate
This epiphany concerns me even more for my chickens because my wild bird feeder is so busy it should have a frequent flyer program! :gig

I didn't like how I saw the chicks handled when one of the owners were dividing them to lots and being inspected by the state animal inspector.  

Living in CT now I am a "recovering" former RI resident for most of my years. Danny's was always great for the occasional "sleeping" antique. Now living mere miles from the Barn, I have yet to make a livestock auction. I thought they have one weekly on one set night? If not, I am certainly sorry I missed the last one.
What was it about the handling that was wrong, if you don't mind.
I too have a boss who doesn't see the "need" for more birds. :idunno

Last edited:
Malloy, instead of raising taxes for everyone, why not cut pensions and state jobs benefits?
[/quote]

Although not the forum your question is a refreshing dose of reality to locate anywhere. I guess there is hope for our state yet! A pleasure to make your acquaintance. :yesss:

Dog's tick collar is no longer working and I see an opportunity!  Unfortunately, she hates them so I will have to figure that out.
[/quote]

I think we are in for one deeply instead year. Our collar is not working either and "she who has never had a tick adhere in 46 years" had one pulled off her last week only to find another ready for the breach yesterday. So I am NOT happy and will campaign endlessly for as many chickens as want to scratch and pick as I can feed, cuddle and house!

#ihavechickenfeverbad

Hi Everyone- we have a Wyandotte rooster- he is almost 9 weeks old. We are looking for a home for him. We are in Cobalt (between Portland & East Hampton). He is very handsome and sweet.

Dog's tick collar is no longer working and I see an opportunity! Unfortunately, she hates them so I will have to figure that out.

I think we are in for one deeply instead year. Our collar is not working either and "she who has never had a tick adhere in 46 years" had one pulled off her last week only to find another ready for the breach yesterday. So I am NOT happy and will campaign endlessly for as many chickens as want to scratch and pick as I can feed, cuddle and house!

#ihavechickenfeverbad[/QUOTE]
Good news! I am getting 3 guinea keets soon!

I have been considering guineas, but managing them . . . I don't know if this is the place for them. We have runners. And the ticks I have had have shown up after I have been elsewhere… There are ticks here, though - this is Connecticut!

Back
Top Bottom