Connecticut!

At least a foot. Lots of drifting. Took me 90 minutes to shovel my way to the coop/run and clear the snow. It held up well. The flock was apprehensive but eventually came out of their coop. The Faverolles told me they're not just French chickens, they're Mediterranean French chickens, then demanded I send them to the Cote d'Azur. I gave them warm oatmeal instead. Poppy showed her Icelandic roots by immediately eating the snow.

first big snow.jpg
all dug out.jpg

Hi Paula,
I have a few questions regarding your electric fencing...I raise bees and have 5 hives here in North Central CT. I've been considering an electric fence around the hives with a gate for access in case of bears. Where did you get your equipment, what was the cost and did you install it yourself? Is it battery powered? Thanks.Mark

I've been considering an electric fence around the hives with a gate for access in case of bears.
LOL....for you to run into for protection? For the bears to use to gain access? OR to close off hives from the bears? The DEP here in CT has a great web site for honey protection. 5 strands of wire etc. It's a great site. I do not have the ability to locate it at the moment, but will look for you when I can. I have regular 5-6 foot fencing about the farm and only 2 wires at different heights and since it went up....no more troubles. It is hard wired from the barn, but I do have a shut off switch by the driveway for added ease to gain access for humans and I did have it installed for me, but it is pretty straight forward and if you're young and handy, I bet you could do it on your own. Solar is also an option. People swear by it all around.

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/...rs-with-electrified-fences-a-beginners-guide/
Great site. Was very helpful for me. I do not have 5 wire because I do not have such a big attractant (honey) as you do, but we watch the bears come down the hill and the mother with 3-4 cubs, and they get near the fence and she guides them AWAY every time. Was an expensive install as we have long, long runs around pastures, barn and driveway and even house (used to be nervous going out after dark, as they came up on the deck, crossing 6 foot stockade fence....installed elec fence....not a problem and it has been 2 1/2 years thus far). All they need here is a hit and they just go somewhere easier, but with honey, I'd say you need the 5 wire and you'd be fine.

https://agrilifeextension.tamu.edu/...rs-with-electrified-fences-a-beginners-guide/
Great site. Was very helpful for me. I do not have 5 wire because I do not have such a big attractant (honey) as you do, but we watch the bears come down the hill and the mother with 3-4 cubs, and they get near the fence and she guides them AWAY every time. Was an expensive install as we have long, long runs around pastures, barn and driveway and even house (used to be nervous going out after dark, as they came up on the deck, crossing 6 foot stockade fence....installed elec fence....not a problem and it has been 2 1/2 years thus far). All they need here is a hit and they just go somewhere easier, but with honey, I'd say you need the 5 wire and you'd be fine.
Dear Kubo, Thanks for your reply. I'll try and find it too!

Back
Top Bottom