Sponsored Post Considerations for Keeping a Rooster

I've had a few roosters over the years and now only keep them to fertilize eggs, I have a friend who sells poulets and always has a free rooster or six. I did have one mean rooster though, a silver laced wyandotte. he'd run across the yard at,,, well anything at all. The upshot of it is that my german shepherd is completely terrified of anything chicken.. or turkey now.

I've had a few roosters over the years and now only keep them to fertilize eggs, I have a friend who sells poulets and always has a free rooster or six. I did have one mean rooster though, a silver laced wyandotte. he'd run across the yard at,,, well anything at all. The upshot of it is that my german shepherd is completely terrified of anything chicken.. or turkey now.

Great idea, I need to borrow a mean rooster to teach my dogs a lesson. <G>

This is a great article!:goodpost: I have also heard that Appenzeller Spizhauben roos are usually docile and tend to take good care of their hens. Have y'all heard anything about them? Thanks for your time!!!

Last edited:
We have a flock of about 25 hens, and are considering getting a Rooster. I think our birds are Rhode Island Reds. Does it matter what breed the Rooster is? I am wondering if a Rooster from a different breed would work in fertilizing the eggs, and if it makes any difference in what chick comes out of the egg.

We have a flock of about 25 hens, and are considering getting a Rooster. I think our birds are Rhode Island Reds. Does it matter what breed the Rooster is? I am wondering if a Rooster from a different breed would work in fertilizing the eggs, and if it makes any difference in what chick comes out of the egg.

Any rooster the general size of the hen is perfect.. If you get say a Dominique roo you would see some black and white chicks many with some red. A roo will fertilize 6-12 hens spending on each bird I keep 1 roo for every 8 hens (This works for me) so for your hen amount I would get 2-3 Roos. If u want pure breed chickens then fhode island red Roos if you plan on getting true offspring. But for me I like having a different breed roo (fun to see how genetics play out. Like I said before the offspring will inherit some of each parent I would get a incubator and if you want chicks pull 3-4 females away from the main flock and put them in a little pen collect the eggs from them and incubate them.. Since you have rirs they probably won't go broody if by some chance you have a broody hen throw some eggs under her.. She will do the job better than any incubator. Hope this helps

Thank you so much for the thread! I use to own a RIR rooster but a neighbor complain and so I have to butcher it. :( But when I see my city's laws and ordinances on backyard chickens, it said that I need like a special permit to have one. Currently I have 3 hens and they both fights a lot. I live in a subdivision and yea. (I heard of this rooster collar but I heard it can kill the rooster. I also heard that the rooster can do a special surgery to remove somewhere to stop crowing.)

Thank you so much for the thread! I use to own a RIR rooster but a neighbor complain and so I have to butcher it. :( But when I see my city's laws and ordinances on backyard chickens, it said that I need like a special permit to have one. Currently I have 3 hens and they both fights a lot. I live in a subdivision and yea. (I heard of this rooster collar but I heard it can kill the rooster. I also heard that the rooster can do a special surgery to remove somewhere to stop crowing.) 

The no crow collet should kill the roo ( I don't have one but I have a Velcro strap that des the job) you should be able to fit it around the Roos neck with A good .25-.5 inch extra room in the collar.

There have been a couple of people report that their rooster died while wearing a no-crow collar.

I read that too :( I was hoping it was just "operator error", but I don't like the idea of the possibility even being there.... "Undecided" on advocating the use of them for the time being....

Back
Top Bottom