Sponsored Post Considerations for Keeping a Rooster

I read that too
sad.png
I was hoping it was just "operator error", but I don't like the idea of the possibility even being there.... "Undecided" on advocating the use of them for the time being....
I'm against crow collars. If you can't have a rooster because they corw, it's not gonna help much cause it just makes it a bit quieter. If you can have roosters, then let him crow. It's not worth the risk, imho.

some dogs are born bird hunters though.... i'd check in to that... also some breeds tend to be less aggressive. now that i don't have a rooster i have a hen that has taken his place... she crows.. not often or very gracefully.. but she is always on the look out for predators (thankfully very few) and she protects her flock from the turkeys.

One plan for getting rid of a rooster is to make it into soup... my favorite kind of chicken is rooster brined in chianti for a few days.. mushrooms, garlic... so good. i have a hen that crows and keeps watch after her flock. she started after i gave my last rooster the axe. another way i found to have a more docile rooster requires a little more labor but has never failed me. get a full grown rooster.. an aggressive one is best.. introduce another, small rooster to the flock... the older rooster will dominate the smaller one and it seems make him a submissive. We had the nicest barred rock rooster. but like all things his time was up.

Has anyone tried and had good results housing the rooster away from the hens at night to tame aggression?

Has anyone tried and had good results housing the rooster away from the hens at night to tame aggression?

As they are gettinf settled into roosting, i tucked the rooster securely under my arm. I keep him there calmly while double checking for eggs and counting the hens. I'll pet him a bit. It helps establish the "im the boss" with him. He learns there is no point trying to fight you.

As they are gettinf settled into roosting, i tucked the rooster securely under my arm. I keep him there calmly while double checking for eggs and counting the hens. I'll pet him a bit. It helps establish the "im the boss" with him. He learns there is no point trying to fight you.
I'm so glad to hear that doing that has helped you....didn't work with mine unfortunately. I would carry him around first thing in the morning for about a half hour, sit with him watching the girls, talk to him...then for about the same amount of time when they were heading in for the evening. He would be docile for about 30 seconds after hitting the ground and then come right back at me with blood in his eyes. I'm still heartsick that I finally had to rehome him but his hatred of me made it a little easier. The lady I gave him to said I should have never "babied" him....that it was part of why he acted out like he did. I dunno....I kinda think he was just mean.

I have a RIR that is too ruff with hens. He runs fence between geese and chickens. We call him the gatekeeper. He protects 3 fields and only on side of fence. He also rears my guineas at 6 weeks in his cage... Keeps post at night and we call them his hench men... Follow him everywhere.

I'm having a terrible time convincing a neighbor who just got hens that she needs a rooster also. She believes that blood spots, meat specks and the chalaza are all embryos, and swears that she does not want to eat fertilized eggs. This is a woman with a PHD degree, so she's certainly not dumb just committed to a certain belief.

Back
Top Bottom