Considering a goat.....what should we know ......

In my opinion, after lots of research and talking to people -- bucks are far more trouble than they are worth unless you have lots of females to breed to him.

If you only have a few females (as in your situation), just plan to find an outside buck to use when the time comes.

They need to be fenced much farther away from your females than 2 to 3 feet. They need much better fencing (which is funny because females and wethers need the best fencing already
smile.png
) because when those does come into heat ... he'll be all over that fence trying to get to them.

I have friends who milk and even with their buck on the other side of the barn they say their milk can taste "off" due to his strong stinky smell if they don't take utmost care where and when they milk.

Most people leave hay out free choice all day if their goats are contained in a non pasture area. They give special feeds (BOSS, oats, whatever) either once a day or twice a day depending on the animal and what's happening in it's life. (Ex: wethers don't need any supplementation and it can even be bad for them. Does that are pregnant, nursing or being milked need extra nutrients.)

Mini's like Nigerian Dwarfs can be milked and actually give a good amount for their size. HOWEVER, you need to find a genetic line that was bred for milking or know what you are doing when buying them as they can have too small of teats and that makes milking hard on you and hard on them.

Not sure if there are any in Michigan, but you could also try kinders.. They are a cross between a nubian and a pygmy.. They are mid size, good for milking, usually have bigger teats then the smaller breeds, and can also be used for meat if you are so inclined to go in that direction.. If you want pure dairy, maybe a mini nubian (nubian/dwarf nigerian) would be a good choice.. Also mid sized..

Goats are not that hard to handle, so unless they are very young, your kids could probably help with standards. Get at least two. If you plan on breeding, just take your does in your van/car to a buck once a year. Very easy. Many people naturally think they will need a boy and a girl goat. That is not the case. I would recommend an alpine doe and an alpine wether. Wethers do eat alot, but mostly pasture and hay, and need little grain. They are very sweet and don't stink. Dogs stink WAY more than a goat. BTW, you will get very attached to the little caprines.
tongue.png

I have a weather, a Boer goat as a buddy with my horse.

Our fence is 4 ft high, and he can make it over if he wants to.

he's very funny a great character. I'd love a doe for milk, but when winter rolls around I don't really want to be trudging through the snow early every morning to milk!

I feed my guy the same as the horse, they have hay available 24/7 and in the evenings they eat get a couple of scoops (cups) of senior horse feed, with a scoop of garlic (for bugs) I really only feed them the senior feed in case I need to add anything to their diet - like the garlic right now.

Goats BURP - right after they've eaten garlic, the closer they can stand to you and DO THAT - the happier they feel about life!
th.gif

Last edited:
I love my goat, though I've learned alot since getting him.
Initially I was given a free Boer billy (who had issues with his previous owners' neighbors). He was described as 1 1/2 yr old about 75 lbs. When I got him he was easily pushing 125 and, during the year I had him, went to at least 250 (and not fat). As goats go he was not psycho but was akin to having a bull who knew he could take you out if he wanted to (it got to where I couldn't even go into the field with feed or he'd try to knock me down). Not to mention the STINK (and I mean that in capital letters). There were 7 mos. when I couldn't even pet him except for scratching his horns.
I got Earl (Boer wether) last year as a baby to keep the billy company and I couldn't be more pleased with him. He's got a great personality, doesn't stink at all, and is fairly certain he's either a dog or a carpenter's assistant.... Howard (aka Goatzilla) was sent off to a farm where they wanted a breeder b/c I couldn't handle him anymore. Now Earl is lonesome (hanging out with the dogs is only a stopgap measure) and needs a pal or two. Don't just have 1 goat.
Electric fence (6 strand running at 5.5) would not hold Earl at all- in fact he would just ooze under it, scraping the bottom wire along his back as if it had no effect (or maybe he just liked it). Mostly he stays loose unless I'm working evening shift b/c late afternoon is when he tends to wander across the road to visit the neighbor's cattle. When I am working he gets tied to his shed until I come home, but that's hardly fair and I don't recommend it. I'm planning to put a stop to that by fencing his pasture with 2x4 4ft dog wire. Right now he has plenty of brush, briars, wild roses, and weeds to eat in the back pasture, but prefers to come into the front yard to eat herbs and roses off the front fence. The only time I can get him to go back there is if I take a lawn chair and stay with him while he browses because it's apparently out of his comfort zone. Goats do not eat grass unless there is nothing else for them to eat; they are not "lawn mowers". Goats do not like to get wet and need shelter from the weather- they will stay in their shed if it's raining, snowing, or just damp. I feed Earl 1/3 coffee can of horse feed every day and he has free access to water and a goat mineral block in addition to any weeds he might want. Goats will climb on anything they can (he's even jumped in the car before while I was unloading stuff) and I highly recommend some sort of goat "jungle gym" so they can get up high and satisfy this need. I know nothing about milk goats but highly recommend a wether/doe and/or 2 does; if you need a billy make friends with someone who has one and send your doe out to be bred.

How much would 2 minis eat per day. I hope not as much as my horse
big_smile.png

How long does it take to milk each goat daily?

Last edited:
I was lucky to be given bottle baby goats and they are the most wonderful animals. I have one nubian buck (and he STINKS more than any animal I've ever owned and there are NO females around!!), and two alpine wethers...one with horns. I have no problems (thus far) with the horns. I love both of these breeds. I have them in a pen fenced with portable corral fencing supplements with smaller wire fence. They live with ducks and a turkey and they all get along fine.

My goats love to ride in the car (though they can make it smelly) and they want attention and food 24/7. Friends who come to visit leave loving goats....but I think I will have my nubian castrated soon because I can't stand the smell.

I feed them small amounts (tuna can size for each) of grain and good quality hay. They have some grass, but prefer the hay. They are funny to watch and each has his own sense of humor. They are just pets...can't milk a boy goat.

Back
Top Bottom