Considering a new bird

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
I'm not ready to drop a large sum of cash right now, but I am considering a new bird.

For starters, the bird would go to an excellent home, with a loving owner who has ample time.

I have a level of blindness that makes me unable to drive, and I am partially crippled. I do well enough to tend a lawn and care for a number of wonderful chickens and guineas. I lost a favorite chicken to a hawk.

I took on a budgie that needed a new home. At the advice of a friend, I purchased a friend for him. Once both were hand-tame and friendly, a third joined and they are a delightful trio that keep me company just fine.

Thing is, I'm home a lot. Often alone with little more to do than take care of the animals.

I have rescued and re-homed a number of strays and am grateful for the experiences I've had along the way.

I gravitate towards fowl. But after the loss of my favorite chicken, I'm not ready for that. (Plus, there's the matter of bringing in multiple chicks, working with them and introducing them to the flock, and of course making sure I have adequate space... I'd much rather bring in a single new companion. )

I am strongly considering a new bird for the house. It would have plenty of time out of the cage, not to mention a lot of attention. I have a large cage available.

I'm not looking to buy right away. And I am hoping to keep the price around $300. I know most birds cost a significant amount more.
I am willing to pick up in the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia.

Can anyone make a suggestion, provide input, and maybe point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
I have owned and cared for hundreds of species of birds; from blue and gold macaws to the tiniest of finches. The best all-around pet is a hand fed cockatiel; male or female. From what you have written I think you'd be very happy with one. They are no where near 300 in price and you'll not find a better bird companion. They have one drawback-their bodies generate a lot of dust/dander and would not be good around people with breathing problems. If you'd like to know more... ask.

I have owned and cared for hundreds of species of birds; from blue and gold macaws to the tiniest of finches. The best all-around pet is a hand fed cockatiel; male or female. From what you have written I think you'd be very happy with one. They are no where near 300 in price and you'll not find a better bird companion. They have one drawback-their bodies generate a lot of dust/dander and would not be good around people with breathing problems. If you'd like to know more... ask.
A cockatiel sounds like a wonderful companion. I'm not sure where to get a hand-fed one but I will look into breeders within my range of travel.
Any information regarding their dietary and intellectual needs will be helpful. How are they with affection? Noise level is not a problem. Are there ways to reduce dander/dust?

I second a hand reared cockatiel. They make adorable pets. Giving them access to a bath or spraying them with water (if they don't like having a bath - they all have unique little characters) will help to reduce the dander.

Males are generally noisier but compared to other birds their noises are pleasant and not annoying. Females are generally pretty quiet and less clownish than the boys, though some are very cheeky. Males are more inclined to talk and copy whistled tunes. Our 2 boys have almost got The Addams Family theme song down pat. They are only 6 months old. They both say other phrases such as "Peek-a-boo" and "Where's my bubbie"?

As to feeding them they enjoy lots of veges and a variety of seeds (especially sprouted seeds). Some people feed pellets but I would rather give them a variety of fresh foods because I view pellets as a highly processed product (but that's just me). They'll try anything you are eating too and are inclined to chew on anything they shouldn't so always supervise them when they are out.

I can't really say that I would recommend a parrot, they are some of the most difficult animals on the planet. But, there are owners out there who, though they will never give them the life they deserve out in the wild, still make pretty amazing efforts to try and give these awesome creatures the best life possible.

Rather than making a long boring post, here's a link to an article I've written that covers most of the stuff I feel I need to say about parrot commitments (sorry, this is kind of long and boring still).
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/what-you-need-to-know-before-you-get-your-parrot.75448/

If you feel you can give all these commitments to a bird, then these are some considerations.

I wouldn't recommend as I said, but a cockatiel is a more reasonable bird as they are generally easier to handle due to their size and other reasons. They still need the same basic care as a macaw, they can't live off cheep supermarket seeds and need a reasonable sized cage to fly in. But they are 'easier' birds to own. Though they can still live up to 25 years, so you need to be willing to care for one for that long. In regards to feather dust, I have moderate asthma and two cockatiels, and haven't really had an issue. However, my parrots also live outside in aviaries.

I would encourage you to consider a rescue before getting a baby. Rescues can be harder and require more commitments, but if you believe you can devote that extra to a rescue, you are not just providing yourself with a new bird, you are giving an unwanted bird their forever home. Not all people are suitable owners for rescues, I have three rescue galahs, and because of them, I wouldn't recommend a galah to anyone. But I believe you should consider if you could provide a rescue with a home.

Here are some other links that I'd very much encourage you to check out.

If you don't already know them, here's the link to birdtricks, they are professional parrot trainers and are extremely helpful when it comes to anything parrot. They have completely changed the lives of my parrots through their videos. I highly recommend watching some of these videos before getting a new bird.
https://www.youtube.com/user/BirdTricks/featured?disable_polymer=1

And here is a link to a video that would also be helpful. Emily from flocklife, a fairly new channel, talks about how she came to own her galah and the mistakes she made and what people wanting to get a new bird should consider.

Lastly I want to say, I'm not trying to be rude. Getting a parrot should not be taken lightly. I don't know you personally so I'm just saying what I'd say to anyone about owning a parrot. If I've discouraged people, then perhaps they wouldn't be able to handle the commitment, but if you aren't discouraged, then perhaps you can.

Sorry, this ended up being a long post anyway, but I feel this is important to say. I hope you consider my words and thanks :)

Cockatiels are absolutely lovely, and while the males are more clownish, females are more snuggly.

Another one I'd recommend (and I recommend very, very few species for most people) is a green cheek or other pyhurra species conure. They are small, within your price range, not terribly loud as birds go, and very affectionate and responsive. Again, a hand fed baby is best.
Rescuing is a fine and noble thing, but if you are not absolutely certain you can handle it - and many rescue parrots need very experienced care - you are not doing the bird any favors, and a bad experience is not only a setback for the bird, but might turn you off bird ownership all together.

I agree that taking on rescues is not something to consider lightly, I have three myself, and they are so difficult that I will never recommend a galah to anyone. But, getting a baby doesn't guarantee it will be easy either. Parrots in general should not be considered lightly. Even my cockatiels have drawn blood when they're in a mood and I mess up. But I do encourage people who do think they can handle it to at least consider before they go for a baby. If we all had the attitude that rescues are too hard and we should just get babies, I think you get what I mean.

Please don't take offense to my words, I don't know how else to put it and I'm just clarifying what I said in the previous post about rescues.

I appreciate lengthy replies and helpful information. But the discouragement is a one-sided argument. I know not everyone is a suitable bird owner, and not everyone is equipped to meet the bird's needs for its lifespan.
I have read articles and have done a fair amount of research. I don't take these matters lightly.
My post says that I am considering a new bird. It also says that I am not getting one right away. I will be learning and planning ahead.
I'm simply hoping to welcome a new companion into my home, where it will be well cared for.
I like to think, that if I get a new bird I will be able to come here for advice.

I appreciate lengthy replies and helpful information. But the discouragement is a one-sided argument. I know not everyone is a suitable bird owner, and not everyone is equipped to meet the bird's needs for its lifespan.
I have read articles and have done a fair amount of research. I don't take these matters lightly.
My post says that I am considering a new bird. It also says that I am not getting one right away. I will be learning and planning ahead.
I'm simply hoping to welcome a new companion into my home, where it will be well cared for.
I like to think, that if I get a new bird I will be able to come here for advice.

I don't quite understand what you're saying. I believe I was being reasonable. I'm sorry if you don't find my advice helpful.

@Quailobsessed, I agree with you that rescuing is important! I just would never recommend it for a first time parrot owner.

I have a LOT of parrot experience, and a lot of experience with all manner of rescues. There are absolutely situations where a rescue is best - want a cat for a small child? Forget kittens, go to the pound and get the oldest, ugliest tomcat there. Bliss every time.

But there are times when it isn't. Parrots, like all exotics, need so much from us and so much specialized knowledge, I could never tell someone to get a rescue as their first, unless, like me, they've spent literally years working with them and just never kept one permanently. I'm sure my "first" parrot will be a rescue, when I finally decide to take one on full time, but the number that I've worked with, handled, rehabbed, etc, is uncountable.

And having that experience with so may species, I will NEVER tell someone to get an Amazon, or most cockatoo species. Most people should avoid Aratinga species conures, because their specific decibal level is painful. Jendays aren't worth the trouble, other species have all their upsides, without their downsides. Etc. But for the OP, I will say, please look into Cockatiels and Green Cheeks, and if, in your research, you decide a certain trait is a Must Have or an Oh Heck No, please, by all means post here, and we'll point you in the right direction.

Back
Top Bottom