1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Considering Bantams...Should they have a separate coop??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenkerri, Feb 11, 2009.

1. chickenkerri

chickenkerri Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Greetings,

I'm relatively new to chicken keeping and have a couple of questions. I have nine Black Austrolorps in a nice, new (thanks to hubby) coop and I've ordered a flock of Auracanas (sp?). I hope and expect they will live in harmony [​IMG]

My question - now I'm convinced that I must have some bantams too!! I'm especially attracted to the Silkies and Mille Fleurs. Should we build a separate smaller coop for the bantams so they won't have to compete with the bigger birds?

I'm very, very quickly becoming obsessed [​IMG]

2. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

That's not needed. We have a large variety of bantams and standards mixed in our coop. The little ones may get pecked on somewhat, but for the most part, our diverse flock gets along fairly well. We have gaint Wyandottes and small Japs living together in harmony! [​IMG] You'll love the 'lorpies. Auracanas are supposed to be very friendly, too.

Don't worry, we're all a little obsessed here!

Oh, and, [​IMG] .

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN. They should be fine living together. Ive had Bantams and Large Fowl housed together before with much success. Get used to the obbession, I think we all have it. [​IMG]

4. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Yep, put them all together and they will figure out whose the boss and next down the line...

5. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    I use to keep mine all together but I have separated my Large breeds from my Bantam birds.

The largest reason is I do not want my RIR or Marans roos trying to mate with my tiny Silkie hens and squashing them into the ground or breaking their necks trying!

The second reason is the Large breed roos will beat up the silkie roos.

When I had mine mixed I only had Silkie roos and all the girls got along fine.

IMO its best to separate.

6. Hambone02

Hambone02 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm getting RIRs, Blk Aus's, and BRs this weekend. I built a coop based on 3 sq ft per bird. I see 4 sq ft per here on BYC. The run is about 7 sq per. Will they be okay? They're said to take confinement well..... This thread has me wondering if they will all get along, now?

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:You should be just fine. If you live in a climate thats real cold and your chickens dont come out of the coop for several days at a time it might need to be a bit bigger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by