Considering chicks from multiple sources

MenervaGladysandPenny

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
Hello,

I ordered 6 chicks expected this week, but have a considerably larger capacity for my flock than when I initially ordered. I am considering supplementing the order with chicks of the same age within a day or so from my local TSC.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel like this would be reasonably safe, or risky? Thank you!

There is always a risk when you put different groups together. But I like to grow out a lot so I have a good selection to choose from. Did it with my last group of quail. I hatched 4 and I bought another 18.

Hello,

I ordered 6 chicks expected this week, but have a considerably larger capacity for my flock than when I initially ordered. I am considering supplementing the order with chicks of the same age within a day or so from my local TSC.

What are your thoughts? Do you feel like this would be reasonably safe, or risky? Thank you!
I mixed chicks from 4 different sources, a few weeks difference in age last year. (Hatcheries & TSC). No issues whatsoever. I kept each group separate for 24 hours to observe & make sure they were eating & drinking, then put them in the bigger brooder the following day.

You can mix from different reputable sources, as long as the birds are all roughly the same age and size.

Assuming this is your first flock and eggs are a priority, I do want to point out that even if you have capacity for a lot of birds right now, it's better to stagger out the ages of your flock to have more consistent egg production. Something to keep in mind.

One thing to keep in mind is that TSC does not vaccinate their chicks for Marek’s or Coccidiosis.

If your hatchery chicks are vaccinated for coccidiosis you will have to decide if you want to feed medicated or non medicated, depending on your coccidia risk. Feeding vacced chicks medicated feed would undo the vaccination, feeding unvacced chicks non-medicated might put them at risk of illness.

For Marek’s, if none of the chicks are vaccinated then you can decided to keep them unvacced or not. If your hatchery chicks are vacced and you want to vaccinate the rest, you can buy the vaccine and give it to the TSC chicks yourself. It might not be as effective as if you gave it on Day 1 but it will still be better than no vaccine.

Good luck with your chicks.

Thank you all for the input! I don’t have the supplies to set up 2 brooders. If I were to do this, would you recommend setting up 2 brooders?

Awesome point about the egg production! I hadn’t thought of that but is a great idea.

Why did the lady at the farm tell me to feed medicated feed to my chicks that are vaccinated again both markeks and cc?? They've been eating medicated feed for 5 days. Did that undo the vaccine?

Why did the lady at the farm tell me to feed medicated feed to my chicks that are vaccinated again both markeks and cc?? They've been eating medicated feed for 5 days. Did that undo the vaccine?
Assuming you fed a typical medicated feed with a coccidiostat, yes it would kill off the small dose of the parasite in the vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom