Considering getting chicks next spring- used to have ducks?

Sound good.. Most straight run should be 50/50 or close. Unless someone cheats you and slips in extra less desirable cockerels. Eat the roos when they are pot ready and keep the hens. Your other choice is to incubate some fertile eggs yourself. No one to cheat you then.
smile.png

Sound good.. Most straight run should be 50/50 or close. Unless someone cheats you and slips in extra less desirable cockerels. Eat the roos when they are pot ready and keep the hens. Your other choice is to incubate some fertile eggs yourself. No one to cheat you then.
smile.png

I was considering incubating but never have before, nor do I have an incubator. I was considering trying it with my younger brother after I had an established flock, for it would be a neat experience to watch eggs hatch... But I'm not sure. One of my friends raises chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, doves, quail, and guineas, so I thought it would be convenient to buy (he lives a mile away, actually) 3 turkey poults and 10-15 chicks from him. As well as some quail (but that's another matter, lol). It would be the most convenient option as of now- come spring, conditions may change, or I may find an incubator. I'd love to try incubation, it's just not suitable for my present setup. I'm also quite nervous to mess up
lol.png
My ducklings I had previously I got at 4 weeks- it was May, so they were off the heat. The more you do/try, though, the more you learn
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom