consistently getting soft shelled eggs

My chickens laid these eggs this morning, has anyone seen anything like this? and what could have caused this?

Ceceuu: I'm still getting at least 2 a week. All mine are red sex links and I get usually 9-10 per day from 11 hens. Yesterday was the first time there were 11 in the box and one was soft shell again so I'm convinced it's from her and she just has calcium issues and isn't going to change. Or if she does it's going too take a long time or she'll always be inconsistent.

It's been nearly a month... One or two every once and a while is normal but this isn't so I called the farmer yesterday and he's going to swap her out for a new pullet next week. I paid way too much for a hen that won't lay proper eggs! Good luck to you, I wish I could be more help but I feel that I've done what I can and I can't help her

Your amount of eggs versus mine shows the difference between other chickens and the RSL. RSL are such great layers. No more rubber eggs but Star (RSL) is laying very thin shelled huge eggs from the roost. She is the only chicken with a problem - all the others are laying beautiful. She is one of the sweetest most personable chicken. I want her to lay well just to know she is healthy. She has such a narrow little body it is amazing she lays such large eggs. I'm going to get the calcium powder just for her to see if it will help. I have noticed the other chickens love the calcium bowl but she turns her little beak up at it.

Last edited:
It could have been stress. I bought them a new chicken coup.

Yea, my girls HATE change. So a new coop for sure could cause an upset in the laying system.

Is that the large Snap Lock coop? Do you like it? How many birds do you have in there? Seems like it would be a great coop for a maternity ward and for a mama to raise up babies before you are ready to introduce them into the main flock.

Yes, I love it! It will be so easy to keep clean. They seem to like it but were a little confused. I had to close them in it the first night, but last night they put themselves to bed. I have 6 hens red sex links. Here's a video of them being a little noisy, wanting to lay their eggs.

Put some food coloring in the suspect's vent and when she lays her egg it will have some coloring on it. If she's not the one just change the color and go down the line till you find the culprit. We cull are birds if they lay shell less eggs, but we have too many good layers and no time for birds with issues.

Back
Top Bottom