Consistently Late Hatches

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ggarratt, Nov 8, 2012.

1. ggarratt

ggarratt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    Midcoast, Maine
    Hello,
    I'm just wondering if I can get a bit of advice. I've been consistently getting late hatches in my Brinsea Advanced, so I want to raise the temp a bit for my next hatch, but I'm not sure how much I should raise it by. I'm currently set at 37.5C and am seeing pips on day 22 and hatching on day 23. A lot of my chicks have struggled to hatch or are dying after pipping, so I want to see if getting the hatch a bit earlier helps them to get out a little more easily. Should I just up it to 37.6C or should the change be more dramatic than that?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Maybe your thermometer is broken. Try putting another one in and see if there is a difference. Wash you incubator really good, I assume you temperature is too low.

3. ggarratt

May 7, 2010
    Midcoast, Maine
    I know that the temperature is low, I'm just hoping someone can tell me how much to adjust it to get the hatch one day earlier.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've been told 37.7C is perfect, try that? What is your humidity during incubation and lockdown?

5. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    I think your thermometer is at least 2 degree off. In my home made incubator, the bottom tray was around 95-97 and they hatched on day 23 also.

6. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Personally, I would go up 0.5 C and see where it gets you. If it is truly low, to the point of late hatch, which your direct evidence certainly supports, an adjustment that small will not cause you to exceed the acceptable range and get into the kill zone.

Just my opinion...

7. ggarratt

May 7, 2010
    Midcoast, Maine
    Thanks everyone. Sorry for the delay in replying, I haven't been on in a bit.

My humidity has been 45 and then 65 for lockdown.

I think this next hatch I'll go up by .5 C as suggested by stevetone and see what that gets me. I'll just keep bumping up each hatch until I get hatches closer to day 21.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by