LATE eggs (leftover from hatch) *HELP*

Hatch in chicks

Songster
Mar 3, 2023
DAY 20: (4:00pm) 3 chicks hatched.
DAY 21: (9:00pm) 4 chicks hatched.
DAY 22: (10:00pm) There is 2 "leftover eggs" from the batch of chicks. Both of them are internally pipped... but not externally. So, I just candled the eggs... one of them is still moving around inside the air sac. The other one has NO movement. I went ahead and made a safety hole in both of the eggs. Are they supposed to be breathing into the safety hole? Or do they have to make their own pip naturally. Why haven't they pipped? Usually the "leftover eggs" are not alive but there is a few faint chirps and movement from one of them. What should I do? How long should it take (for them to hatch/pip)? Why didn't they hatch with the other7 chicks who were RIGHT on time?
DAY 23: not yet happened.

I have been in your situation and have read its bad to help but I couldn’t bear it and when they were a full 24 hours past the last hatch I spent 3 hours pipping and zipping. The first time it was 2 eggs out of 13, the second time it was 1 out of 7. All 3 chicks are alive and clucking, I have 2 more batches coming in the next 10 days and I will absolutely help if it feels necessary. I also had a 1 in each batch that showed no signs of life. I didn’t try and assist on those. Both were breech (wrong side up inside the egg) and i think in the future i will try and help the unresponsive ones too just in case

DAY 20: (4:00pm) 3 chicks hatched.
DAY 21: (9:00pm) 4 chicks hatched.
DAY 22: (10:00pm) There is 2 "leftover eggs" from the batch of chicks. Both of them are internally pipped... but not externally. So, I just candled the eggs... one of them is still moving around inside the air sac. The other one has NO movement. I went ahead and made a safety hole in both of the eggs. Are they supposed to be breathing into the safety hole? Or do they have to make their own pip naturally. Why haven't they pipped? Usually the "leftover eggs" are not alive but there is a few faint chirps and movement from one of them. What should I do? How long should it take (for them to hatch/pip)? Why didn't they hatch with the other7 chicks who were RIGHT on time?
DAY 23: not yet happened.
I am currently in your situation, as well. Five have hatched over the last two days, with three eggs in the nest. I candled, and there was an internal pip in one, and the other eggs had movement. If mama doesn’t have time for the late bloomers, I will raise them myself.

Were all your eggs set at the same time?

I cracked open the safety hole bigger and I am regretting it.
HERE IS A PIC. Sorry already assisted, just to find its not internally pipped.
IMG_20240301_075012741.jpg

Back
Top Bottom