Consolidated Kansas

I hope you all had a good weekend. We made a flying trip to Missouri where my DH is from for a family reunion on Sunday. Thank goodness the weather was decent since we were meeting at a park! I don't do the heat well any more so I was not looking forward to sitting out there if it was miserable. I was so tired last night I way overslept this morning. On a good note it looks like all of my birds & animals did fine with the animal care person.

It's sure been quiet here lately, I guess everyone is busy with summer stuff. I've got one more hatch of guinea keets due the 9th & then I'm about done hatching for the year.

I've got piles of guinea eggs and no one is sitting on them. I don't want to hatch any more. I've also got a ton of keets that need to be sold. I thought about switching guinea eggs for some chicken eggs since I still have some stubborn broodies around. The turkeys hatched a baby a couple days ago. Not sure who is claiming it. I still have about 5 broody turkeys. Also have a hen sitting on rotten eggs with a week old chick. I have no idea why she won't get up.
I need to empty some nests in the building where there's about 5 broodies. I need the eggs for eating since it got so hot. And I'm afraid some of these broody girls are going to die of the heat when they all pile together like that.

Yeah I have some silly broodies as well that I can't seem to break. I'm not letting them have any eggs because I sure don't need any more chicks. I'm trying to just stop hatching after these last guinea keets that are due the 9th other than one order I'm trying to fill. I have chicks I'm growing out for myself that I'm slowly getting moved to their respective pens other than the young pullets I'm growing out for my laying flock that are too young to put in there yet. I normally don't hatch this late, but people really have wanted the guineas this year so I kept putting eggs in. There was a guinea sitting in the pen but she just quit sitting on the eggs so I just threw them away because I don't want to hatch any more.

Do you still have one male left? I just took my male to the vet, and it looks like he may have cancer. If you know of any GP's Let me know. Thanks.
@Ralph Moyer I believe all of her pups are gone now. I'll look on my swap on FB & see if there are any left on there. There were a bunch at one time. I sent you a PM with some names.

Last edited:
Hi folks,
I had a strange occurrence today. I was watering the garden and looked into the chicken run and saw Pinky, the Leghorn that had problems recently kind of squatting down, neck feathers puffed out and I thought something was wrong. Suddenly out comes a soft shell egg! I started to go in and get it, but the other hens (at least the ones that can see) pounced on it and ate it! So did Pinky herself! They gobbled up the yolk and white and left a bit of shell.
From what I've read, soft egg shells can happen in the heat. Her eggs have been fine and regular up to now, although I did find a remnant of a soft shell a while ago.
I just finished (Sunday) treating with Strike 3 (16 days) for possible worms. Pinky's poopy bottom practically went away. Now it seems to be back even worse.
It was to late to inspect and photograph, but tomorrow I'll try.

Hi folks,
I had a strange occurrence today. I was watering the garden and looked into the chicken run and saw Pinky, the Leghorn that had problems recently kind of squatting down, neck feathers puffed out and I thought something was wrong. Suddenly out comes a soft shell egg! I started to go in and get it, but the other hens (at least the ones that can see) pounced on it and ate it! So did Pinky herself! They gobbled up the yolk and white and left a bit of shell.
From what I've read, soft egg shells can happen in the heat. Her eggs have been fine and regular up to now, although I did find a remnant of a soft shell a while ago.
I just finished (Sunday) treating with Strike 3 (16 days) for possible worms. Pinky's poopy bottom practically went away. Now it seems to be back even worse.
It was to late to inspect and photograph, but tomorrow I'll try.
Plinky when you are worming you need to do it a second time in 7-10 days. The worms leave the eggs or oocysts and when they hatch they reinfect the birds. I am surprised the wormer package didn't explain that.
@Ralph Moyer, sorry the pups are gone. I would have much rather sold him to you than a complete stranger

@Plinky I also forgot to mention you'll need to worm them two times again now since they weren't wormed the second time.
Yesterday I decided to start working on some of the roosters around here. I managed to get all the Icelandics in the rooster pen butchered. I began by just skinning them. I found out why they do so well in Iceland. They look smooth feathered but they have more feathers than even the cochins, orpingtons or brahmas. It was nearly impossible to skin them because the feathers got in the way. I couldn't find the torch to start my propane heater until DH happened to get up before work. After that I dipped them and it went so much faster. To heck with skinning. It's just a lot easier to pluck them. They are small so I split the breast and that is the way to do small birds. It was easy to clean them out and I don't think I could have gotten my hand in that tiny body cavity otherwise. I'm really anxious to take a couple of these birds and cook the split birds on the grill.
Unfortunately I still have two pens of icelandics that need the cockerels sorted out. Maybe it will cool down some more before I have to do that.
I got my silverrudds and langhans separated day before yesterday. I definitely need more silverrudds. I got some easter eggers instead of the silverrudds. Breeders error. I think all but one of those is a cockerel too. I guess that is more to butcher. I have lots of Langshans though and I have no idea how many are cockerels but I should have a fairly decent breeding group after I choose which two cockerels to keep.

I've been trying to move the birds that I've been growing out to their permanent pens as I can. I'm trying to decide on which Speckled Sussex rooster I want to keep for my backup & then I will have one for sale. They're both nice looking birds. I'm trying to keep backup roosters for all of the breeds I raise so I have an extra just in case. I have lost my only rooster for a couple of pens before & had to hurry to find replacements for breeding, so I kind of learned my lesson with that. I have a pair of Mille Fleur Leghorns for sale too if anyone is interested in those. They're very hard to find & I had to have mine shipped in when I got them.

Back
Top Bottom