Consolidated Kansas

KingBee I checked the peahen this morning and she appears to be doing just fine. I am so glad I checked them late yesterday. Everyone got a dose of calcium in their water last night just to be on the safe side. I'll be watching her carefully for a while to make sure she doesn't have further problems.
How is QueenBee doing these days. Is she getting better?

I find it interesting how often egg binding pops up as a problem. According to articles I have read in the UPA site, peas only need 1 1/2% calcium in their diet and most laying feeds have around 3% in them. I assume that some hens just don't process the calcium as well as others, I know that some calcium is hard to assorbe and that is why it is important to have the calcium gluconate on hand for emergencies.

Most hens that have a stuck egg in them that breaks will die. I recommend that people have the right tools on hand to attend to their birds in these emergencies. Learning to tube feed birds to keep their fluid levels up is so very important, best to know how before it is really needed.

I've had egg binding twice this spring so far. And the birds do get a healthy dose of calcium. But both times I was able to treat the hen and she did okay. I have some liquid calcium with Vit D, magnesium and phospherous in it that is actually made for humans who have trouble taking pills but it works very well for emergencies. It has calcium gluconate, Calcium Lactate, Calcium phosphate, and Calcium citrate in it. I also have coral calcium capsules I can open and mix with other vitamins.
I had read that Calcium carbonate is used best by birds, which is essentially lime stone. It's hard to believe they'd ever have a deficiency around here as much lime stone as there is.
I need to bookmark that page you sent so I have it here for emergencies.

While we are bookmarking, some others may find these links of interest too.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

I was not successful in my first attempt tube feeding because I didn't have the proper equipment on hand. (Sad story) If you keep birds and want to be able to help them in their hour of need you really need to have the equipment on hand BEFORE that time comes. It is also a great way to administer medications as very sick birds can or will not eat, drink, or swallow when they are down.

Tough morning at our house. The boys went out to open the pop door and let the chickens out around 8:30, only to find another dead chicken and one that was dying. Brahma Mama II died in my youngest son's arms, and it was REALLY upsetting for he and my 8-year-old daughter.
sad.png
Both were our youngest chicks...7-week-olds. We did notice the Brahma acting a little puffed up and less active in the coop yesterday.

I dropped the kids off at swim team at 9 and went straight to Atwoods for the Corid, and then home to get the medicated water to them. @KsKingBee , I used that useful Backyard Chickens thread you provided, plus the manufacturer's website per @chicken danz suggestion. I put in the active infection dosage.

I don't feel like I am out of the woods with more deaths yet, because I am concerned that there may be a few (that are all puffed up and less active) that may have been too far gone before I got the medicine to them. Interestingly, my oldest hens do not show any signs of sickness. I am guessing that this may be because they have lived in the coop WAY longer and have been exposed to the cocci present in their habitat long enough to develop an immunity? I also think that, if I am dealing with coccidiosis (which I'm almost sure of at this point), that the recent wet weather has just allowed the cocci to flourish.

I now need to figure out how to prevent another outbreak (based on the life cycle of the cocci), so that shed cocci do not just reinfect the flock. Will they be immune to this once the treatment is complete, or is there a risk of them being affected again by the same cocci that have sickened them?

Tough morning at our house. The boys went out to open the pop door and let the chickens out around 8:30, only to find another dead chicken and one that was dying. Brahma Mama II died in my youngest son's arms, and it was REALLY upsetting for he and my 8-year-old daughter.
sad.png
Both were our youngest chicks...7-week-olds. We did notice the Brahma acting a little puffed up and less active in the coop yesterday.

I dropped the kids off at swim team at 9 and went straight to Atwoods for the Corid, and then home to get the medicated water to them. @KsKingBee , I used that useful Backyard Chickens thread you provided, plus the manufacturer's website per @chicken danz suggestion. I put in the active infection dosage.

I don't feel like I am out of the woods with more deaths yet, because I am concerned that there may be a few (that are all puffed up and less active) that may have been too far gone before I got the medicine to them. Interestingly, my oldest hens do not show any signs of sickness. I am guessing that this may be because they have lived in the coop WAY longer and have been exposed to the cocci present in their habitat long enough to develop an immunity? I also think that, if I am dealing with coccidiosis (which I'm almost sure of at this point), that the recent wet weather has just allowed the cocci to flourish.

I now need to figure out how to prevent another outbreak (based on the life cycle of the cocci), so that shed cocci do not just reinfect the flock. Will they be immune to this once the treatment is complete, or is there a risk of them being affected again by the same cocci that have sickened them?

Here is a link to a thread on poo with lots of pictures; https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/941731/peafowl-poop-normal-and-abnormal-lots-of-poop-pictures

They are mainly pea poo but there are also some of chicken and turkey also. I may add that bloody does not mean that it could ONLY be cocci, only a fecal exam will tell you for sure.

sad.png
So sorry to hear about the other chickens, so tough! Will be thinking of you and the kids today!

I am wondering if anyone has ideas on what mixture this little guy might be. They are 8 weeks told tomorrow

All of the roosters from where the eggs came from our wyandottes minus one buff orp. The hens are wyandottes australorps buffs and a new Hampshire.

I am guessing he is a australorp mixture?

@KsKingBee , Sorry to interupt the discussion but I have another problem. I have been trying to scan the thread you posted and haven't found the answer. I noticed a different peahen hanging wings and eating an egg. I saw no egg shell and their is egg goo on her back rear feathers. I am afraid she broke an egg inside before it hatched. What is really weird is there are only two hens in that pen and there were three eggs and the broken one. I just checked it yesterday AM and there were no eggs.
I can give her the calcium etc but don't know what to do about the broken egg. I have no way of knowing if it broke inside of her. She isn't one of my tamer birds.

I have climbed over my design/build mountain and will finish my incubator tonight. I'm going to set some lavender orphingtons next week. Happy thursday to you guys hopefully these peahen and chicken expiring issues will work out today as well. Wishing you the best!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom