Consolidated Kansas

I eggtopsied the 3 eggs that remained (2 in the incubator and 1 under my broody). All 3 were dead. The two from the other broody had died a while ago and weren't well developed - maybe why she abandoned them. The one under my successful broody was fully formed, but the head was trapped under a wing and it couldn't pip. How sad -- the egg sack was completely absorbed. I hate to lose them that way.

Final tally 2 chicks from 10 pullet eggs. In January. With pullet broodies. I'll try to get a picture when it isn't too cold to have the door to the hoop coop open.
That isn't that bad especially for pullet broodies. It just takes a while for them to figure it all out sometimes. I have two hens that have been insisting on being broody for awhile now. I got tired of getting my hand pecked so I just left the eggs under them yesterday. I'm not sure if they'll hatch any thing but they need to get the broody out of their system.
Posted by zigzag45
The weather here in NW KS is bitterly cold. My ducks/geese usually don't mind the weather, but today they haven't even come out of their duck house. There are reports in the area of anywhere between 8 and 12 inches of snow, but I honestly have no idea how they measure that or even guess at a snow depth. It's been blowing around out there so bad that the visibility is pretty poor, even when it's NOT snowing.

I saw a post on FB from the local emergency manager, and thought it was sad, but funny. You know you're in KS when...:

Here's a quote from the local Emergency Manager FB page:

"Roads are bad and the high winds is making it impossible to get them cleared. With the slick road and high winds we are even having problems keeping road closedsigns in place. The city crew is working hard to clear the roads but only main roads are plowed and they are starting to drift shut again. Please do not travel unless it is essential."

I think it's a good day to stay inside! Stay warm everyone!

Edited to remove typo

Lizzy I laughed at that in spite of the misery implied. The keeping the road signs in place made me laugh because I was just outside trying to fasten a bin to a cart and it got away from me and took off like a flash. I decided it really wasn't that important to get done today. so I chased it down and put it up for now.
We got near an inch of rain last night but the cold and the wind came in today. It's so miserable out there. I'm glad I rushed through chores earlier. It's going to be an ice rink out there again, I'm afraid. But no snow yet. I think most of that is staying north of us. I hope!!! I have to feed and water cattle and chickens at my friends house starting tomorrow. It is going to be so miserable out there. It's not set up the best it could be with a long distance of hoses to clear and multiple places to feed and water. I only have to do it for a week or so. Sure wish the weather had been more cooperative though.
I did move a few chickens today. I put several cockerels in one pen. I caught myself wondering how soon I would have to have another butcher day. I was going to move some young pullets as well but heard a chicken sneeze in the pen I planned to move them to and want to make sure it wasn't a cold or anything. It can wait a couple days so I can be sure. Changing weather is really hard on these poor birds.

Posted by zigzag45
Have fun with your chicks. Eco Glows are good but be careful cause I've heard several people talk about the legs breaking on them. I am totally sold on sweeter heaters and have several of them.
Yeah - I saw that as well. You have to be very careful with how you release the legs to raise/lower. The directions said to always use something like a screw-driver. Me, being a good follower, of course did it sans screw-driver.

I looked really hard at the Sweeter Heater's but felt that with my setup, the legs would be the most helpful. I think they are roughly the same price. Of course, if I break the legs that totally shoots my theory.

I like the sweeter heaters because you can set them on their side or hang them. I use ratcheting ropes on mine in place of the chain they have, which I can adjust the height with, including hanging it from the lip of the bin. At any rate regardless of which you have they are certainly more desirable than having to use a heat lamp. I still use some heat lamps in the house but not out in the buildings outside where I can't watch them.
In my opinion being safe is worth the expense. And they last forever where light bulbs burn out after so many hours.

One thing I keep forgetting to ask is how do you wash eggs... We get 6-9 a day, and almost half of them need to be washed. The girls don't wipe their muddy feet off very well.

I made one of the egg washer's off YouTube (something like this) but it seems to work best with 3 dozen or so. And, it's a hassle to fill the bucket up, put the egs in, wait while they clean...

Lately I've just been washing them by hand in the sink when they are brought in. The entire time I'm doing that I'm thinking, "There's got to be a better way..."

I like the sweeter heaters because you can set them on their side or hang them. I use ratcheting ropes on mine in place of the chain they have, which I can adjust the height with, including hanging it from the lip of the bin. At any rate regardless of which you have they are certainly more desirable than having to use a heat lamp. I still use some heat lamps in the house but not out in the buildings outside where I can't watch them.
In my opinion being safe is worth the expense. And they last forever where light bulbs burn out after so many hours.
Ok.... Sweeter Heater is a new term for me. They look pretty pricey, and I doubt I could convince my hubby to get one this year. Tell me more about them. How big of one do you need for x number of chicks? Are they cheaper to run? Do the chicks really do well with them? I've got 2 heat lamps I'm preparing to use when my chicks come early next month....

One thing I keep forgetting to ask is how do you wash eggs... We get 6-9 a day, and almost half of them need to be washed. The girls don't wipe their muddy feet off very well.

I made one of the egg washer's off YouTube (something like this) but it seems to work best with 3 dozen or so. And, it's a hassle to fill the bucket up, put the egs in, wait while they clean...

Lately I've just been washing them by hand in the sink when they are brought in. The entire time I'm doing that I'm thinking, "There's got to be a better way..."
I don't usually wash eggs. They last longer if you don't wash them. If they are dirty, I'll wash them either right before I use them or right before I sell them. Otherwise, I just use them as-is.

Had a fun surprise, my babies arrived today. I didn't expect them for another day or two. Pretty amazing for Cackle to ship yesterday and I get a call at 7:30 this morning. All are in good shape, started eating and drinking right away - I was thrilled. I know the hatchery route isn't the favored route for alot of you but it is such a good fit for me this year. Super easy!

I bought one of those EcoGlow's for this batch. It uses a radiant heat so it never feels super hot under it. But, the babies seem to be doing well so I'm trying not to over think it.

I have both an open waterer and a pitcher with a nipple on the bottom. They are using both which makes me think I'll be able to get the standard waterer out in a few days. I really don't enjoy pulling wood chips and poo out of the drinkers.

Congrats on the chicks arriving! I tried the EcoGlows but lost chicks due to them not heating evenly & the chicks piled & suffocated. I just want you to be aware of this & watch. I went to sweeter heaters for this reason.
Yeah - I saw that as well. You have to be very careful with how you release the legs to raise/lower. The directions said to always use something like a screw-driver. Me, being a good follower, of course did it sans screw-driver.

I looked really hard at the Sweeter Heater's but felt that with my setup, the legs would be the most helpful. I think they are roughly the same price. Of course, if I break the legs that totally shoots my theory.
The sweeter heaters are worth every penny they cost. Nasco Farm & Ranch online has them on sale right now.

I agree, hanging them is the very best & I love the way they heat evenly all around.

If you wash eggs, make sure not to immerse them & they have to be refrigerated right after. They do last a lot longer if not washed. If they're just for us I don't wash till we're ready to use them.

Whoever asked about the lambs, they're Dorper/Katahdin crosses, good for meat & no shearing.

For my egg customers I usually just run some water in the sink, drop in a little oxine (or bleach if you have no oxine) and wipe them with a dishrag. If they are poopy I toss them to the dogs. For myself I don't bother. I might wipe them off before I use them.

Quote: I've been fighting to save my special chicken One Wing the last few days. She got Egg peritonitis and then got pneumonia. I panic every time I hear her labored breathing stop. I've been giving her baytril to combat the peritonitis but it didn't seem to help the pneumonia so I switched her to tylan today. I've even been using my nebulizer on her which really seems to help for a little while. She has a heat pad under her and a vaporizer putting medication in the air. She is still occasionally drinking but not eating. So I have sugar and a little salt in her water. I am also giving her childrens tylenol for her fever. I've been an emotional basket case. I am so attached to this special bird that is almost like loosing a life long pet. I don't know if her chances are good at all. In most cases I would consider a chicken this ill to be a lost cause but I'm not giving up yet. I guess I'm pretty crazy to put so much into a bird but she is so very special.

Quote: Is there such a thing as a "snowless blizzard"? The wind was so cold, strong and constant that it was about impossible to feed and water yesterday. I think I took three steps back for every step forward. But at least it wasn't snowing or sleeting.

Quote:
Yep! They call those a dust storm!
wink.png
We got some snow during the night but I think most of it ended up blowing to the next county.

I'm sorry about your pet chicken Danz, I know you really get attached to them. I have certain ones I like really well but I try not to make pets of them for that reason. Chickens do at times get sick with things so I just try not to get attached to any too much. Mine are here for a job either laying eggs or for breeding so it's easier not to make any pets. I hate however to lose a hen since it takes so long to get one grown out to laying age. I'm looking to replace a few this year with some of my own breeds I raise.

I sure will be glad when it gets warmer again, it's cccooolllddd out there today, at least the sun is out though. I had to go into town to physical therapy so I had to go out in it.

Back
Top Bottom