Consolidated Kansas

@Ralph Moyer I know exactly what you are talking about. I put in way more hours since retiring than I did working a full time job. The difference though is that most of the time I enjoy what I do. I sure have realized that I have to slow down though. This surgery has knocked me back 10 paces and I know that I can't manage all this work any more.
@ChooksChick hope you can get back to the birds some day. Life sure gets in the way.
It's been the quietest ever on this forum recently. I guess every one is busy with life and school etc these day.

maybe I'm going against teh grain, but I'm finally doing and feeling better after my sinus surgery. I have energy again and don't need 12+ hours of sleep like I did when I had that nasty sinus infection. I have had complications from my jaw that have put me in the ER, but I think we've found a way to manage that (I hope anyway).

I have a chicken question for ya'll. I have a young bird (about 2 months old). I can't quite tell yet if it is male or female, but it has quite the attitude. It makes me think rooster, but I'm not sure. It is the only bird I have that will attack my feet, and it does so regularly. It was the only chick that hatched from the batch, and it has just been raised with it and its mama until just recently when I added it to the pen with the rest of my flock. It is obviously now at the bottom of the totem pole but still tries to attack my feet. Does that mean it's a rooster? It gives up fairly easily, but I am surprised that it attacks my feet. It definitely stands it's ground! Rooster or just a stubborn hen? What do you think?

Hi, guys, I haven't been around for a while, but I'm still doing the birds.

Last spring when my broody's chicks didn't hatch, I got some hatchery chicks from Bluestem. Two of them were silver laced wyandottes. They are now almost 15 weeks old. I think they are pullets, but I haven't had SLW's before and I'm not sure. They neither have bright combs or wattles, but....
slwpair.jpg
slw2.jpg
slw1.jpg

The first picture is of the two of them together, the other two are individual shots. Anybody have any input about this

I hope everyone is doing better. We just returned Sat. night at midnight from a vacation in Europe. We had been up for 24 hours traveling so we hit the bed as soon as we got in. I'm still a bit jet-lagged, I hope to get back on normal time soon. I lost one Cream Legbar hen while I was gone but everything else seems to be OK thank goodness. It seems like every year when I go on vacation I lose one or two birds.

Hi, guys, I haven't been around for a while, but I'm still doing the birds.

Last spring when my broody's chicks didn't hatch, I got some hatchery chicks from Bluestem. Two of them were silver laced wyandottes. They are now almost 15 weeks old. I think they are pullets, but I haven't had SLW's before and I'm not sure. They neither have bright combs or wattles, but....
View attachment 1132774View attachment 1132776 View attachment 1132775

The first picture is of the two of them together, the other two are individual shots. Anybody have any input about this
They look like pullets to me sharol. Watch for saddle feathers to tell if they're roosters but the lack of comb or red wattles looks like pullets to me.

I had to make a short trip, to re-home a female Opossum, and her babies. I took them, about 6 miles away, to a rural cemetery, on the other side, of the Neosho River. There are no houses close to there, so She will not be eating domestic eggs or young chickens. Most predators don't fare that well, when I catch them, but I made an exception this time.

Attachments

• O'possom and babies.JPG
    O'possom and babies.JPG
    569.1 KB · Views: 2
Have to worm the chickens. If I use Safeguard, what is the process? I have done this before but it was two years ago.

I also have Wazine and Ivermectin? I want a fairly all purpose. One of my cats horked up a roundworm, so it is time to worm the zoo.

I had to make a short trip, to re-home a female Opossum, and her babies. I took them, about 6 miles away, to a rural cemetery, on the other side, of the Neosho River. There are no houses close to there, so She will not be eating domestic eggs or young chickens. Most predators don't fare that well, when I catch them, but I made an exception this time.

We rehomed one this morning, too. A young female we think. Took her to an area that is more friendly to 'possums. They do, after all, eat ticks.

My GPs don't let 'possums in any more & for that I'm grateful. I had problems with them before I got my LGDs & lost a whole pen of guineas one night. That was the last straw & after that I got the first two GPs. I have male guineas around here to eat ticks for me & boy do they do a great job. We haven't had a tick problem since I got them. That really is one of my best sellers of birds too. I have lots of orders for guinea keets every year. I had to get more females this year to help fill my orders.

@sharol the Wazine is only good for round worms so not a good one to use because it's more likely the birds would have other types as well. The Safeguard if I remember correctly is 4cc per gallon of water for 5 days & make sure that's their only drinking water. I have not personally used Ivermectin for worming chickens. I know that Danz has but can't recall the dosage on that one & if I remember right she used the injectable not the pour on. I use the Rooster Booster Triple Wormer myself. I have to order it but it has worked well for me & I can mix it into my FF & feed it to them all since I have so many chickens, ducks, geese, & guineas to worm. It comes in a cannister & has directions on how much to put in a certain amount of feed.

My GPs don't let 'possums in any more & for that I'm grateful. I had problems with them before I got my LGDs & lost a whole pen of guineas one night. That was the last straw & after that I got the first two GPs. I have male guineas around here to eat ticks for me & boy do they do a great job. We haven't had a tick problem since I got them. That really is one of my best sellers of birds too. I have lots of orders for guinea keets every year. I had to get more females this year to help fill my orders.

@sharol the Wazine is only good for round worms so not a good one to use because it's more likely the birds would have other types as well. The Safeguard if I remember correctly is 4cc per gallon of water for 5 days & make sure that's their only drinking water. I have not personally used Ivermectin for worming chickens. I know that Danz has but can't recall the dosage on that one & if I remember right she used the injectable not the pour on. I use the Rooster Booster Triple Wormer myself. I have to order it but it has worked well for me & I can mix it into my FF & feed it to them all since I have so many chickens, ducks, geese, & guineas to worm. It comes in a cannister & has directions on how much to put in a certain amount of feed.

Thanks. I have safeguard, but I couldn't find any instructions on it. It sounds like the right way to go. Do you have any idea of the withdrawl period for eggs?

Back
Top Bottom