Consolidated Kansas

I’m glad to have found the Kansas thread! My 8 year old is in 4-H and we are looking in to getting a few breeder/show quality bantams. I am trying to find out what bantam breeders are in the area. As far as what breed of bantam, I’d like to get something that is a decent layer and probably something that is more of a solid color since I’m told that is easier to get close to the SOP than patterns. I read about brahmas and was interested but that reading indicated breeders are hard to find. So, if you know of any reputable breeders of bantams in northeast Kansas please point me in their direction! Or if any of you have suggestions on what type of bantam would be good for our needs let me know. We are getting ready to build a small bantam coop that would hold about 8 adults so I don’t want to order and ship them as the minimum order would be more than we will have space for. Not in a huge hurry but I’m a planner! Thank you!

I have a chicken that thinks she is a goat. She flew the coop and moved in with my 2 goats. She sleeps with them, eats with them. everywhere the goats go she is right there with them. The accepted her into there little soon to be growing herd. Gabby was already bred when I bought her and wasn't sure when she was bred. So a very watchful eye on Gabby waiting on the day she kids. Anybody else ever have a chicken ditch the chicken coop?

So in answer to your question remember that Bantam breeds lay small eggs so you will probably need more hens than you would with a larger breed. However they also lay more eggs most of the time. As far as APA acceptable breeds, @Trish44 should have BBS cochins by next spring to offer.
I will have Sultan and several colors of Cochin to offer as well. Cochins from me will have to be a pre-ordered though because I would have to separate the group for pure color. I don't have enough pens to keep all colors separate. As far as show quality goes there is no way to know that each bird will be show quality. You start with good lines and nice stock but each bird will carry different traits. Just wanting you to understand that ahead of time. I am sure there are many other people on this forum that raise bantams as well but I don't know what every one raises.

I have a chicken that thinks she is a goat. She flew the coop and moved in with my 2 goats. She sleeps with them, eats with them. everywhere the goats go she is right there with them. The accepted her into there little soon to be growing herd. Gabby was already bred when I bought her and wasn't sure when she was bred. So a very watchful eye on Gabby waiting on the day she kids. Anybody else ever have a chicken ditch the chicken coop?
Actually One of my Pyrenees got hit last winter in an ice storm. After surgery he had to be kept quiet so I put him in my chicken breeder building in one of the chicken runs. He was in a cast for about 10 weeks. One of the free range chickens came into the building and took up residence with him. She slept either up close to him or sitting on his back. After he became more mobile she would see him and go running to get close to him. I think it started because she liked his dog food but later it just became a close relationship. Unforetunately we lost her in the heat this summer.

So in answer to your question remember that Bantam breeds lay small eggs so you will probably need more hens than you would with a larger breed. However they also lay more eggs most of the time. As far as APA acceptable breeds, @Trish44 should have BBS cochins by next spring to offer.
I will have Sultan and several colors of Cochin to offer as well. Cochins from me will have to be a pre-ordered though because I would have to separate the group for pure color. I don't have enough pens to keep all colors separate. As far as show quality goes there is no way to know that each bird will be show quality. You start with good lines and nice stock but each bird will carry different traits. Just wanting you to understand that ahead of time. I am sure there are many other people on this forum that raise bantams as well but I don't know what every one raises.
We have standard sized hens so I don’t need to rely on bantams for all our eggs but it would be nice for them to contribute. :)
Yes I should have worded my “show quality” sentence better I just meant from better lines than the feed store so there is a better chance at them being show quality! Thank you for your response, I will look into the breeds you mentioned!

Actually One of my Pyrenees got hit last winter in an ice storm. After surgery he had to be kept quiet so I put him in my chicken breeder building in one of the chicken runs. He was in a cast for about 10 weeks. One of the free range chickens came into the building and took up residence with him. She slept either up close to him or sitting on his back. After he became more mobile she would see him and go running to get close to him. I think it started because she liked his dog food but later it just became a close relationship. Unforetunately we lost her in the heat this summer.
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your pyrenees. my hens new found family didn't last long. she lived with the goats for a month, 2 nights ago she moved back in the chicken house..lol just in time for this awful rain. Just north of Alexander we have received 1.25 inch of rain so far today.

@Crazyfarmgirl! , no I guess I wasn't clear. I lost the chicken to the heat, not my dog. Thank heavens. He is such an awesome dog. I have four adults though and they are all the best. We just had another litter of 8. Unfortunately, this female has to be spayed after this litter because she is high risk due to some injuries she sustained in her first litter a year ago. She's just the best mother to her pups.

@Crazyfarmgirl! , no I guess I wasn't clear. I lost the chicken to the heat, not my dog. Thank heavens. He is such an awesome dog. I have four adults though and they are all the best. We just had another litter of 8. Unfortunately, this female has to be spayed after this litter because she is high risk due to some injuries she sustained in her first litter a year ago. She's just the best mother to her pups.
oh, I am so sorry for my mistake. I am so glad it wasn't your dog. I have a 2 year old female pyrenees. I have decided to not breed her after watching a friends pyrenees pass away after complications during birth.

I've raised Pyrenees for a decade and never had a problem before. But this girl is a small Pyrenees and she was still quite young when she had pups. I didn't intend that to happen. At any rate my stud is a big dog and the combination just wasn't good. I was told she wouldn't be able to carry puppies due to the damage most likely, but she did.
There's a lot to breeding pyrenees for the right traits. However some people just breed to the first dog they find and then the results can be awful. I've had 2 females and 1 male I rehomed with an spay or neuter agreement because they weren't the right personality or guardian quality. Plus so many people have mixed them with other guardian breeds and they might be okay for some "jobs" but they can also be dangerous or worthless. I just happened to be lucky when I bought my first two dogs from several hundred miles apart. They were both awesome purebred pyrenees. Since then it's getting more and more difficult to find good lines when I want to change up genetics. I'm probably not going to add any more lines because I'm getting older and need to quit doing some of this work.

Back
Top Bottom