Constant egg-eating

Quote:
I said "at least" three of the four. Because I caught them in the act, that's how I know. I went out there, saw them dragging a weird thing across their run. It was the SHELL of an egg. Before that, I had found spilled yolk in the nest box with no trace of shells. Deductive inference.

It sounds like your not willing to do anything other than the calcium thing which is more than likely a crap shoot, since this is the case you had better get used to feeding and feeding & caring for chickens who won't give you any egg's. new Birds are very easy to get you know, the non egg eating kind. Unfortunately things like this happen and you as the livestock owner have to make choices however unsettling as they may be. Hope things get better.

AL

I have a flock of 15, and have 1 -2 girls who have been caught in the act of eating eggs. I placed a golf ball in each nest (I have 4) and collect the eggs 2-3 time a day to prevent them from getting the real eggs. After a week they seemed to stop the eating, probably because when they pecked at the golf ball nothing happened. I read about this idea on BYC. It worked for us. Good luck.

I agree with the golf balls and calcium, I used them and it helped, alot!

Other things you can try:

Change their bedding - it's something about there feet

It's funny but make sure they have food and grit (no grit and they can't break down there food)!
lol.png

Clean up any areas that have had egg spilt - egg eating I'm told usually starts by accidently finding a broken egg.

Try to check every 2-3 hours.

Some recommend it, I've never done it (I don't know if I would try but if your desprit) you could clip the upper beak. Talk to someone experianced with beak clipping before you do it because too much can cause starvation!

I heard giving them milk for a week.

Question: Are they eating feathers?

If so I would definently say there is a mineral / vitamin deficency, in which case definently look into there feed.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
I said "at least" three of the four. Because I caught them in the act, that's how I know. I went out there, saw them dragging a weird thing across their run. It was the SHELL of an egg. Before that, I had found spilled yolk in the nest box with no trace of shells. Deductive inference.

That "weird thing" could have been a defective egg. I've learned that chickens do eat eggs that are malformed instinctively. I noticed mine ate a couple of eggs, but once I caught them I realized they were leathery, or no shell eggs. The chickens will eat these, but not necessarily normal eggs. They might just be cleaning up messes rather than eating normal eggs.

Quote:
I'M willing to do something - I wouldn't like it, as I have unfortunately become somewhat attached to these hens - but my mom and sister? There's NO WAY they would go for it. My dad and I have had enough trouble convincing them that we should give them away after two years to a friend who would like them.
roll.png
Said friend would probably stew them, so it's the same basic effect, but try explaining that to my mom and sister.
he.gif

I like the golf-ball idea, but the problem is, our hens are RIRs, so their eggs are brown.

Quote:
I'M willing to do something - I wouldn't like it, as I have unfortunately become somewhat attached to these hens - but my mom and sister? There's NO WAY they would go for it. My dad and I have had enough trouble convincing them that we should give them away after two years to a friend who would like them.
roll.png
Said friend would probably stew them, so it's the same basic effect, but try explaining that to my mom and sister.
he.gif

I like the golf-ball idea, but the problem is, our hens are RIRs, so their eggs are brown.

I see your dilema............... with your family. The color of the golf balls won't matter they are not that smart LOL. Just try all of what folks have said and try if you can to get an idea of their laying scedule and pull them as soon as you can, that really helps the most. Good luck partner.

AL

Isn't there a way you can add a rollaway nest box on the end of your tractor? On the flat wall? It wouldn't be any worse than adding a normal nestbox on the end. Just make it a little longer, slant the floor towards the back and have a partition between the nest area and the egg storage area at the back. The partition just needs enough room at the bottom for the egg to roll under. Put a soft bumper at the back, so the eggs don't crack when they roll out. If you thought that would be too much weight, you could always add some support underneath.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
agreed, egg eating is very hard to cure and a lot of the time: impossible. I have had egg eaters before and NOTHING I tried worked. Now if I catch them once its a warning, the egg may have already been broken and then all my birds will eat it. But the second time? Dinner. I dont usually get them but every once and awhile I do you have to cure it quick too or they'll teach the others to do it and then you'll have a whole flock of egg eaters.

This winter I had a few that would eat the eggs. You have to isolate them for a few days and take away the eggs RIGHT away. After a week of this they may forget about eating the eggs as I have found that chickens have short memory spans and if you can get them out of the habit for a few days they forget they had it.

I have not had any problems for a couple of months because I took away the offenders. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom