Constant Supervision?

DorisTheChicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
West Yorkshire
I'm seriously considering getting some jersey giant chicks and need to know whether they need supervision throughout the day? If it is absolutely necessary i would have to delay my plans till the summer holiday. Is there an age where you can start leaving them as it may be possible that i can purchase them older than week ect. Any advice welcome!

No chicks need constant supervision. Just make sure they are safe from predators, have adequate, reliable, steady heat that won't burn them or your house down, water (that they won't drown in) and enough food. Do your research to ensure you are taking care of them properly and you'll all survive just fine. I have left mine on their own for days at all ages. Haven't lost one yet!

Ta, just checking it would be fine as im at school 6 hours a day, not to mention 1 the sometimes 1 hour+ bus rides there and back. I just dont want to be a bad chick mummy thats all. :)

Completly agree with what everyone has said, they will be fine. At the moment, i have 4 2 week olds and i go to college everyday, the only thing i would advise is that when you come home and your doing work, or cooking or watching tv, pick them up and hold them, talk to them and things, so they get to know you really well.
Mine have nearly learnt this, because when they hear me open the front door they always get really excited and chirp lots. Makes you really happy after yet another rubbish day of school :)
Enjoy them!!!

Another schoolgirl with a hellish commute every day here - no problems at all with leaving the chicks untended. They will eat and drink on their own, as long as they have what they need. We have sometimes left the chicks locked up in the coop on a warm day, as they will get a bit more space to move around. This way, they can also pick bugs up from the ground, and have a more varied diet.
welcome-byc.gif
, by the way. Born and grew up in Yorkshire here.
frow.gif

Last edited:
They do not need you there all day, but they do need their heat regulated when temps change during the day and night, and they need their food and water containers to be full. They fly around and jump up on containers and turn them over, and I have found them empty, so that's why I always put multiple water/food stations up on 1-2 inch boards. Make your brooder large enough so they can get under the heat and away from it when they don't need it.

Back
Top Bottom