Constantly breaking blood feathers.. at my wits end. Appreciate any advice!

Thanks for those links.. I'm going to be reading through them. I'm starting to think that it is not a coincidence that this happened right after we had to switch the feed. We drove to a different store and got the old feed again. I can't let him out to free range now because as soon as he starts scratching around, usually there is another one broken and bleeding. It's only happening on the new feather growth on his feet in one area. None of the fully grown in feathers are breaking and they all feel quite strong. I've been giving him some cut grass and scrambled eggs over the last couple weeks, but he won't eat them. He just keeps calling the girls over to them through the fence. Too much of a gentleman to eat anything himself, haha!

The feed that we switched over to was nutrena layer 16% protein. Anyone heard of any issues with it?

Many times with chicken feed, they will lose nutritional value along with vitamins just by sitting on the shelf for a couple of months. I use different brands of feed, but my local TSC tends to move their feed quickly, selling out a lot of times before the new delivery truck comes in. They sell Purina here, and it has a packing date on each bag. My feed from Southern States doesn't. I am learning that it is probably wise for most of us to supplement our flocks with a good powder vitamin/mineral additive to their water about 3 days a week. Sometimes I will dissolve an all B vitamin into water if I don't have chick vitamins.

Many times with chicken feed, they will lose nutritional value along with vitamins just by sitting on the shelf for a couple of months. I use different brands of feed, but my local TSC tends to move their feed quickly, selling out a lot of times before the new delivery truck comes in. They sell Purina here, and it has a packing date on each bag. My feed from Southern States doesn't. I am learning that it is probably wise for most of us to supplement our flocks with a good powder vitamin/mineral additive to their water about 3 days a week. Sometimes I will dissolve an all B vitamin into water if I don't have chick vitamins.
x2 on the freshness of the feed being extremely important!

Good to have additional sources of vitamins from fresh foods or other sources as backup.

That makes a lot of sense. I know the feed moves off the shelves quickly at this store, but I know they buy it from a warehouse and who knows how long it's sitting there. They do that with all their animal food and I know I've gotten older bags before. This is the first year we're shopping at this store for animal feed. I'll probably start doing the vitamins in the water regularly as you suggest.

If the change in feed does not work please send me pictures of your birds feet..I need a close up. Several pictures. Collect the broken feathers and take pictures close up of the shaft. Take a broken one and tap the open end on a white piece of paper. Tell me if any debris falls out no matter how small. Take a close up of any debris and note anything remarkable. Keep good records and any thing you have done or medications given. Any illness in your flock.

I actually just got in from taking a few photos of his feet (I wanted to be able monitor any changes).. I'm seeing some improvement on one foot. Would three days with new food & water be enough to show some improvement or is this a coincidence? Anyway here are the photos. His feathers on his feet have been trimmed back so I can actually see what's going on in there. They are usually much longer.

This is the foot that seems to have some improvement.

Here is the other foot. You can see some dried blood still stuck on the feathers in the area that he broke the last one a few days ago.

This was from over the weekend when I let him out to have some exercise.

If he looses any additional feathers I will definitely save them. I did pull apart the ones he did loose before to see if there was anything noticable inside and at that time I didn't see anything, but I did not dump them onto a paper towel. And we have had no illnesses except a sour crop back in may, and she was fine in a few days.

Last edited:
If it does not stop..soak his feet in emsom salts for a few days too. I have a feeling it is just feather quality during moult and too high of the wrong protein. Most bagged feeds that have high proteins are hard on some birds. Males usually. The proteins come from soy and by-products and not meat. Males simply do not use them like hens do. Males have a hard time processing laying feeds. It is hard on the kidneys.
You can also try to wet his feed and add a tsp of fish oil. Will not hurt the hens either.

Thank you for the advice. I've been having a hard time finding a feed that I'm happy with. Does anyone with roosters have anything they recommend? What level of protein? I've been doing an all flock type feed (until the store stopped ordering it). He will be out free ranging with the girls once he is better. I don't want to let him out to free range until his feet are in a better state though. Thanks again for all the help everyone!

Thank you for the advice. I've been having a hard time finding a feed that I'm happy with. Does anyone with roosters have anything they recommend? What level of protein? I've been doing an all flock type feed (until the store stopped ordering it). He will be out free ranging with the girls once he is better. I don't want to let him out to free range until his feet are in a better state though. Thanks again for all the help everyone!
If you have to feed bagged feed, feed chick feed or all flock and give the hens oyster shells. That way everyone can eat the same.
Ferment the feed if you can. Roosters need less proteins and they have a harder time processing higher levels. I like to keep mine at 10-14% grains and 10% meat proteins. I ferment grains and add raw meats or fish meal.

Last edited:
I feed my chickens and roosters Purina Flock Raiser crumbles, Southern States Rockin Rooster 20% pellets, or unmedicated 20% chick feed. It's all basically the same stuff, and I just add crushed oyster shell for the hens on the side. Last year I did fermented feed for 7 months. You can buy gamebird feed (24-28%) if you need to supplement his feed.

Back
Top Bottom