Constantly Sneezing Chick? Please Help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Chickadee, Apr 1, 2017.

1. The Chickadee

The Chickadee Just Hatched

Apr 1, 2017
    [​IMG]I started raising chickens very recently and lately I've noticed one of my week and a half old chicks is sneezing. I've done extensive research on respiratory infections, and I'm not sure it has it. It is not showing any other symptoms, no runny nose, no mucus, no swelling, nothing. It is simply sneezing; a lot. Like, all the time. At first I thought it might be dust, but the bedding I use claims to be "virtually dust free" and I haven't seen any floating around. A few of the other chicks have been sneezing, but only very rarely, so that might just count as dust or something in their nose, but this particular chick sneezes every couple of minutes or so. Does anybody know what's going on? Thx

2. The Chickadee

Apr 1, 2017
    This sneezing chick is also acting pretty normally. He's energetic, eats regularly, and drinks when he needs to.

3. Jiffyrocks

Jiffyrocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2017
    Louisville KY
    I had one of my chicks sneezing a lot too. Seemed to lessen when I let them out of the brooder and I haven't heard any sneezes since they've been in the coop.
    I think it was the dust from the pine shavings in my case, and probably in yours. I wouldn't be alarmed :)

4. The Chickadee

Apr 1, 2017
    Thank you so much Jiffyrocks! I was pretty sure it was just dust, but I wanted to listen to the opinion of someone more experienced!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by