constipated black sexlins chicks, very worried

smithbre

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2015
I'm new to owning chickens, I got a totally total of 6 chicks, 2 of which are black sexlins. After the first day one of them started to get poo on them. So I did the washcloth and then the next day a bath and she is good. But now the other one is having bad problems, we bathed her twice and on the first one she pooled a little but now just stands and chirps, and now after 2 hours she fell asleep. I worry because the others were pecking at her bum and one kept pecking her beck. She is sleeping standing and looks bloated but I see nothing.

Is it just poo stuck on the cloaca (bum hole)? Lots of chicks get what is called pasty butt during the first few days - weeks. I usually just take a warm damp cloth and clean their bums a few times a day. This is a good time to wipe any gross stuff off their little bodies, too! If they're picking on her/him it may be more, but hopefully just regular little pasty butt. Good luck :)

She looks swollen, earlier today she would lay down, and nest, but now she stands in one spot and chirps

she falls asleep like this and had not really moved

Back
Top Bottom