constipated chicken emergency need answers asap?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 5toedbantam, Mar 29, 2015.

1. 5toedbantam

5toedbantam New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    I got chickens Thursday and one of them is a bantam/silkie mix and the poor little thing has curled feet. So while we were taping his feet to the cardboard I noticed that he had to poop so we finished that up and the next morning he STILL has to poop. There's like a little ball of poo stuck to his rear end hole and I tried gently pulling it off using a wet papertowel but I didn't want to hurt him. Is this serious or will it eventually pass, any remedies?

2. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Hello :frow and welcome to BYC!

Is it a young chick?

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)
    No worries. It sounds like your chick has "pasty butt." It's very common. Just make sure to remove the droppings from the vent if it seems clogged.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC!

This is a chick, yes? You will need to soak his bottom in warm water to get the poop off. Make sure to blow dry him off so he doesn't chill. If he can't poop he can die.

You can use some probiotics or Apple Cider Vinegar in the water to help prevent pasty butt. 3/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a quart waterer and fill with water. Or probiotics in the water. Either of these will help with pasty butt. Change and make new water with these daily.

Make sure the chicks are not too hot or cold. AND they know where the water is. Pasty butt can be caused from stress, being too cold or warm or dehydration.

Good luck with your birds and welcome to our flock!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    IF you use Apple Cider Vinegar, do not use in a metal bowl. You can also put some Vaseline on the vent after you have dried the chick.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    HI 5toedbantum,

You have already received great advice. I do want to add, that a chick who gets pasty butt may get it more than once. Would check all your new chicks to make sure this is the only one. And watch that little chick to make sure it does not come back.

They actually seem to enjoy the warm water sitz baths. Once poop is soft, try a moist paper towel or a moistened Q tip to clean it off. Personally I dealt with 2 and was really scared of a dryer, but if you run it on low it would be the best way to prevent a chill. If your brooder is in a warm area and the brooder lights are really warm, then dry it with paper towels and place the baby under the light to dry.

Do you have curled feet or curved toes. If just curled toes also try adding some vitamin B12 to the water.

Good luck with your new chicks.

And Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Definitely put some ACV in their water.

Good luck!

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by