constipated hen

THELMA

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
do hens get constipated. My hens vent is very swollen and she is straining to poop. Her poop is very hard. I do not think she is egg bound as I cannot feel an egg there. How can I treat her.

Will she eat and drink? I have never heard of a cpnstipated hen, though I guess it is possible. Veggie oil should help though I'm guessing she isn't drinking enough. Any difficulty of her getting to the water? Are you *sure* it isn't an egg? Either way, if you know how to give a warm, shallow belly bath for an hour or so and get her dry after, it should help. Might have to be repeated.

Thanks. I am not sure if its an egg or not as I am very new to this. I did feel her abdomen when I bathed her and it is not swollen. I do feel a little helpless as to what else to do. I will give her another bath today and massage her abdomen and see what happens.
I have her in a dog cage at the moment so can check her poops and this morning there were just three hard lumps and lots of tiny white squirts of urine. Her vent has blood around it presumably from straining.
I have put a few greens in with her and put some layers in oil and she is eating a little of these. Not sure about if she is taking enough water as she keeps stepping in the water bowl and spilling it.
Last week I put woodchippings into her outdoor run and I noticed sometimes when I went on a night the hens had kicked woodchippings into the water so it made it difficult to get water. I have now hung this from the pen ceiling so it does not happen but could this have caused her problem.

Between baths put a hot water bottle in her cage, Thelma. The idea is to dilate her chute and keep it relaxed to get an egg out. I rather think she is eggbound and there could be shell in the chute, nicking her, so if there is any way to locate it and *gently* remove the bits, give it a try. Remember that a bath can take up to an hour, don't try to reduce the time, she needs all of it. I hope you get a mess in the water very soon...oh my...

(I think the constipation is an egg pressing on the gut, urine gets through but the solids are blocked.) I'd like to be wrong, though.

You might be able to wire a small plastic water cup on her cage...

If you think she needs water from a dropper or a straw, go ahead and give it. She may drink during her bath! No soap!

Last edited:
Thanks Lynne I appreciate your reply. She is still up and about a quite lively so hopefully I can sort this somehow. I have not bathed her for as long as an hour so I will give that a go.
She is only a young bird and has not laid an egg yet. I spoke to the breeder and asked if she was egg laying age and she told me that another hen which she had hatched at the same time had laid one egg so I suppose it could be a possibility. My husband did put a small amount of olive oil around her vent this morning after her bath to try and help.
I have some antibiotics which was not used up after treatment for a respritory infection on my dorking would it be advisable to give her this in case she has been cut inside.
I really must go on a chicken keeping course as I feel totally helpless at the moment.
Once again I appreciate your help.

I wouldn't give antibiotics at this point, Thelma.

She is going through a change in her hormones and even if there isn't an egg yet it may be imminent.
They like bathing, and if there is a chute problem the heat will help, even when you switch from wet heat to dry.
This pullet will become very attached to you, the way a child does to her mother, so you will have a lifetime pal in her.

cool.png

Just an update. Bathed poor chicken for an hour last night then sat on my knee on hot water bottle for a further half hour no success Im afraid. This morning a few hard poops in cage but nothing else. A further bath just for 20 mins this morning as I had work got quite a few poops but no sign of egg or anything.
She is still eating though be it not a lot she is still resonably bright as I find out when I try to get her to put her in bath. She is still straining a lot but nothing seems to be happening.
Have decided to take her to the vet tonight and see what he thinks I cant bear to see her struggling like this. If he cant treat her will get him to put her out of her pain as I could not bear to do it myself.
Keeping my fingers crossed that it goes well. and she can be helped.

A vet should be able to help her, Thelma, glad you have access to one. I know you care for her deeply. That she passed some droppings is encouraging, actually, you have made progress. Since she is eating might help to moisten the food with water or yogurt. I'm beginning to wonder if she ate something in the run that she shouldn't have- they are so baddddddddddddddddddddddddd for that,
cool.png

Last edited:
This chicken keeping lark is stressful at the moment she is running around my kitchen as that is the only area with a tiled floor refusing to be caught to go in the cat box to take to the vet. All looks good and then poor things goes into straining mode again and is scrunched up looking in pain the highs and lows of chicken keeping. I have only been keeping chickens for six months and had two respritory problems. One which the chicken had when I got her and now this. Unfortunately I just get too attached. As I live in a rural location in the UK you do get vets who will see chickens although they sometimes think you are crackers. Fingers crossed for todays visit.

Back
Top Bottom