Constipated Keet

jennyvangy

Hatching
Jul 20, 2019
Hey all,

I hatched keets this spring and have nothing but trouble. Of the 6 hatched I've only got 2 left. One is 10 days old and totally constipated! She is constantly straining to poo, and when she does, it is super dry and "sandy". I actually resorted to my best attempt at a gentle chicky enema last night, and got tons out of her, but today she's back at her straining. Because two others had to be culled for slipped tendons, I had b vitamins in the water. I stopped that and tried ACV. That didn't help, so now I've just got plain water. They are on medicated turkey starter. I tried making a mash with yogurt, but they wouldn't touch it.

Her symptoms are basically constantly trying to poo with very little coming out. Her vent protrudes and seems swollen. It is not pasty butt, as nothing is sticking to her. I don't know if she's gaining weight, but I weighed her today and she's 57g. I'm going to keep daily track of that. She's feathering out fine, it seems, and is otherwise running around - but I'm not sure how happily.

Any suggestions one how I can get, and keep, things moving? Anyone else ever experience this?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I hatched keets this spring and have nothing but trouble. Of the 6 hatched I've only got 2 left. One is 10 days old and totally constipated! She is constantly straining to poo, and when she does, it is super dry and "sandy". I actually resorted to my best attempt at a gentle chicky enema last night, and got tons out of her, but today she's back at her straining. Because two others had to be culled for slipped tendons, I had b vitamins in the water. I stopped that and tried ACV. That didn't help, so now I've just got plain water. They are on medicated turkey starter. I tried making a mash with yogurt, but they wouldn't touch it.

Her symptoms are basically constantly trying to poo with very little coming out. Her vent protrudes and seems swollen. It is not pasty butt, as nothing is sticking to her. I don't know if she's gaining weight, but I weighed her today and she's 57g. I'm going to keep daily track of that. She's feathering out fine, it seems, and is otherwise running around - but I'm not sure how happily.

Any suggestions one how I can get, and keep, things moving? Anyone else ever experience this?

Thanks!
What is the bedding material?

Keets should not be kept on shavings for at least the first two weeks. They will eat the shavings, become plugged up and die unless they have appropriately sized grit. Without the grit they cannot digest the shavings.
Okay... I haven't seen her eating the shavings, but at this point what should I do. I have chick grit. Should I offer it? Should I put down puppy pads? I'm at a point of trying anything.

Back
Top Bottom