Constipation in 3 week old chicks

Molasses can be used one time to help with constipation or you can give them a little applesauce.

Photos of your brooder and your chick's vents would be helpful.
How old are they?

How warm are you keeping them in the house, do they all huddle constantly on the water bottle and under the light?

As suggested by @ChickNanny13 see that they are drinking and eating their normal feed. Also if you are giving them anything besides chick starter (they are on grass/eating oatmeal) they need grit.

I've given them chick crumb, withou oats, and grit. They started eating it right away. They've also just had a warm bum soak and I put oil on their vents.

The two that poorly are huddling on the hot water bottle. They were cheeping very loudly, but have calmed since their soak.

Molasses can be used one time to help with constipation or you can give them a little applesauce.

There was no molasses in the shop, I'll have to look in another tomorrow. Why can it only be used once?
I can make applesauce easily.

The two that poorly are huddling on the hot water bottle. They were cheeping very loudly, but have calmed since their soak.
There was no molasses in the shop, I'll have to look in another tomorrow. Why can it only be used once?

How old are your chicks?
How warm are they - can you tell us the temperature of the brooder?

Molasses acts as a laxative and can flush the system. You don't want to over do that with chickens, they can quickly become dehydrated.

Back
Top Bottom