Constipation

Rwilson49

Chirping
Oct 31, 2023
My silkie is starting to be constipated. Has had issues with loose poop and vent getting crusted. She seemed to be over that. She had parasites and treated. I noticed it this morning and soaked her and gave her Oxbow Critcal card with ground up Tum. She is just standing in the cage and occasion water poop comes out the color of her feed. I have been hand feeding her with egg mixed with critical Card and her crumbles. I felt her crawl and it still seems full from last night. Any thing else I can do? She has a follow up vet appointment Wed.

I'd soak her for 10 minutes or so in some warm Epsom salt water. That'd relax her and most likely make her poop.

I've never heard of that Oxbow critical care but I don't see any for chickens. Maybe I'm missing it but is this the stuff for like fuzzy four-legged friends? If so, I'd stop that and give her vitamins for chickens if that's what you're trying to do as it might have something in it that's not good for your chicken. Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell are two good ones made for chickens.

Probiotics might also help. Sugarfree Greek yogurt is one of the better things. They also make probiotics for their water, like Hydro Hen, Sav-A-Chick, etc. We ferment grains/feed so they get lots of probiotics/prebiotics from that. ACV w/ the mother, 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water could also help, but always have fresh water available.

I'd soak her for 10 minutes or so in some warm Epsom salt water. That'd relax her and most likely make her poop.

I've never heard of that Oxbow critical care but I don't see any for chickens. Maybe I'm missing it but is this the stuff for like fuzzy four-legged friends? If so, I'd stop that and give her vitamins for chickens if that's what you're trying to do as it might have something in it that's not good for your chicken. Nutra Drench or Poultry Cell are two good ones made for chickens.

Probiotics might also help. Sugarfree Greek yogurt is one of the better things. They also make probiotics for their water, like Hydro Hen, Sav-A-Chick, etc. We ferment grains/feed so they get lots of probiotics/prebiotics from that.
The Oxbow Critical care was given to me for Lucy when I took her in to the Vet before for other poop issues and low weight. She loves it. I put her back out with her sister and she seems happy. I have Rescue 911 in their water and have set a dish of yougurt out for them. I’m going to drop her off at the vet tomorrow. She had always been a little sickly but since her sister is broody she wants to stay inside with her. I have been making them stay out side most of the day except today. It’s raining. I thankful I have a great vet for my silkies and not too expensive.

Hopefully the vet will see her in the morning and re-check the crop. If it's not emptying overnight, that needs to be addressed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Lucy died during the night. She was doing much better yesterday evening, actually eating crumblies and went out the coop. Today was suppose to be her vet appointment. So sad now Lula will be. Lucy must have had something chronically wrong with her. She always had poop issues and never laid an eggs. Lula started laying eggs about a month ago but is now broody and stopped. Both girls were the same age of of 8 months. Lucy had such a short life but was loved.

Lucy died during the night. She was doing much better yesterday evening, actually eating crumblies and went out the coop. Today was suppose to be her vet appointment. So sad now Lula will be. Lucy must have had something chronically wrong with her. She always had poop issues and never laid an eggs. Lula started laying eggs about a month ago but is now broody and stopped. Both girls were the same age of of 8 months. Lucy had such a short life but was loved.
I'm sorry to hear about Lucy:hugs

Back
Top Bottom