constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
WILL TEST TO SEE IF MICRO-HABITATS USED BY FRONT PORCH FLOCK IS WARMER THAN AREAS NOT USED

I have a thermometer normally used to remotely monitor incubator temperatures. Tomorrow, for fun, I will place probe and reader in a variety of locations to see if their is a pattern in temperatures. I am predicting the temperatures where the birds hang out are warmer than average. This coupled with protection from wind would reduce need for metabolic heating.
I have 2 Acu-Rites and a La Crosse remote sensing sets for the DW's greenhouse, the pump house, and the outside in my (not heated lean-to shop temp).
I find the reading are alot different in just a few yards distance. It's the old find the cat in winter and find the heat story
lol.png

Scott

Last edited:
I have 2 Acu-Rites and a La Crosse remote sensing sets for the DW's greenhouse, the pump house, and the outside in my (not heated lean-to shop temp).
I find the reading are alot different in just a few yards distance. It's the old find the cat in winter and find the heat story
lol.png

Scott
I am pretty sure I will be seeing the same in a measurable way with the chickens. It is the degrees of difference that will be most interesting to see.

This not working well at all. Chickens keep moving about and dogs evens packed off one of the probes. All I know is the starting ambient temperature was 9 F. The birds are staying in heavy cover and moving so they are also in direct sunlight. I may have to rethink this. The wild birds are following the same pattern.

SUCKS TO BE A DUCK

Scoob was tormenting the duck today once he saw two of the American Dominique hens chasing and flogging it. Anything that gets hens with chicks riled really gets Scoob going. I do not know what duck does but he really has those hens getting after him.

LOOKS LIKE AREAS WHERE BIRDS ARE AT LEAST 6 DEGREES F WARMER THAN SIMILAR AREA IN SHADE AND EXPOSED TO BREEZE

BATTLE ROYAL AMONG STAGS

Today about noon as I prepared to go outside Scoob came bursting through dog-door grumbling to get me to follow him. I knew what he wanted me to do but not what he wanted to show me since the grumbling was low intensity relative to what a predator causes. When I followed him around the house I briefly lost sight of him but found him standing over the three stags whooping on each other. Normally Scoob can break such up but these yahoos would not let up. Two were a little dinged up. I policed them up to spend a little time together in the box of shame for about 30 minutes before releasing them. I do not know why but such seems to suppress young birds from fighting so they can be released without a resumption of scrapping. When they mature such will not work. Largest weight ~1600 g and smallest about 1160 g. Largest is in background.

I just spent two days reading this thread! Thank you very much for sharing your observations.

Thanks, more will be coming as I effort to get some automated data recording going. I still miss a lot even with sleep apnea keeping me on my toes. A video camera running during all daylight hours would great for catching those rare interactions involving my birds and dogs with the wild life. The hawk and owl stuff I have yet to see of similar nature anywhere on internet or even books and now I see why. Studying snow leopards is in some ways easier that recording the front porch flock's rarer activities.

IT IS DISPERSAL TIME

I have three groups of hens. Over last week or so they have been drifting as individuals well beyond their usual ranges and do not seem bound to harem masters. Brownie moved into pasture along fence row by herself for entire day. That put her near the cockyard. Just before dark she flew about 200 feet back and landed in garage where Ralph promptly covered her. She is still checking out the field. Another game hen is doing similar although she may be checking out Ralph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom