constructing a single chicken family unit for porch

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was my favorite way to hold my girls when they were that age. They are now 9 and 12. Burn that feeling into your brain, he will not be doing that long.

At some point his loyalties will switch to this guy, Scooby-Doo Sir, lord of bad habits. Great effort will be expended preventing both parties from eating each others food and from getting into chicken feed barrel like I did as a kid. It does smell so good!

41527_live_stock_guarding_dog_training_2010_december_4.jpg

EDUARDO-PAST HAREM LEADER MAY NOT BE AROUND MUCH LONGER

Since late September, Eduardo has a string of bad luck. When is tail feathers were nearly replaced by moult, he has attacked by a dog and the new feathers were pulled. He also suffered bites to body and leg leaving him almost unable to walk for a couple weeks. After a month new tail tail feathers were evident, then he was attacked again while in a pen, probably by fox resulting in new tail feathers being pulled yet again. Something happened the day before making him unable to walk normally before last attack. For last 10 days he has been unable to walk and is exhibiting Marek's Disease like signs. He eats but weight continues to decline. His voice is not normal. This morning Speach (new harem leader) got to Eduardo now kept in garage on floor and tried to cause great harm. Eduardo is no longer game which is extremely unusual for a game rooster. I think he is loosing his mind and his vision may be impaired by disease. If indeed Marek's and my understanding of disease is accurate, then it may have already been affecting Eduardo by time of first dog attack making him unable to get away. Eduardo should have been able to fly away and been amoung least vulnrable in whole flock to such a threat. I am treating him with anti-biotics and electrolytes in hopes condition is not Marek's Disease. If decline continues, then I will have to put him down.

Quote:
If rallie does not occur very soon then it probably will not ever. Sallie like balance of games is doing excellent.

This how Eduardo looks at present. I have not observed him to preen for days. His comb is shrinking and getting darker. He eats but can not do much more than right himself. Note both legs sticking out behind him. His wings do not operate properly enough to even drag him about. He also twitches whenever stimulated as if he is having a seizures.

41527_eduardo_probable_mareks.jpg

Quote:
If rallie does not occur very soon then it probably will not ever. Sallie like balance of games is doing excellent.

This how Eduardo looks at present. I have not observed him to preen for days. His comb is shrinking and getting darker. He eats but can not do much more than right himself. Note both legs sticking out behind him. His wings do not operate properly enough to even drag him about. He also twitches whenever stimulated as if he is having a seizures.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/41527_eduardo_probable_mareks.jpg

I have a few birds with the local respiratory illness. I have treated the worst, a couple twice. I found a rooster today very lethargic, not able to hold him self up and putting up a very week fight when picked up. I am in the same boat as you, hoping with some meds, rest and isolation that tomorrow brings improvement. He is laying on some hay tonight with his feet in front.

Good luck to us both.

REGROUPING FOLLOWING DISTURBANCE BY OWL

Early this morning 0445 an flushed front porch flock off roost. Most flew to south or southwest. I could here all despite not being able to see them. Red jungle fowl hen flew about 300 feet horizoantally and a good 40 feet up and stayed in top of oak tree. Two pullets flew even farther and landed in pasture on ridge. A cockerel flew at least 500 feet into woods due south of house. That flight was little down hill so not as long as one might think. Shortly after sun rise all but cockerel flew back which was pretty cool to. Cockerel is crowing like crazy in woods so i will go down with Scoob to collect him. He will likely fly back even though up hill. I think he is same cockerel that was by him self for a good month and half over summer.

TWO LOSSES IN FRONT PORCH FAMILY

Eduardo succumbed last night to the "Mareks" he had been battling. I will dry him out and deflesh his bones so he can be used as part of a teaching collection.

Tazz (red jungle fowl x American game pullet) was also looking a little under the weather for last few days with apparently the same disease that hits most of my birds in late fall each year. She happened to be affected at time of cold snap and failed to survive night. She was in excellent weight and feather.
41527_tazz_pullet_rjf_x_game_2011_november_14.jpg

As I found her below roost'
41527_tazz_no_more.jpg

Next year I will be sending such affected birds to the University of Missouri to find out what it is. I still think it is something brought in by migratory songbirds becuase they seem affected as well. Balance of flock clearly cold stressed as always when first real temperature drops hit. With this cold snap, all that seems important is keeping crops full and staying in warmest locations they can find.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom