Constructive feedback on coop/run design idea

543E1E49-258A-4160-A46A-AE9D6CF23EB6.jpeg

Thanks @aart, hope these are more accessible for everyone. Excuse my technological challenges getting these up and I look forward to your feedback.

Looks like a decent design.....it's tiny tho...wouldn't put more than a few birds in there.
Make sure that window in the roof doesn't leak(can be tough),
polycarb roof panels might be a better choice for extra light in coop.

Argh, I meant to say this is for 5 chickens. Okay, that is good to consider - if I can't figure out how to seal the window in the roof I will look into the polycarbonate roof panels. We do get a lot of rain here so that is an important consideration.

Well, looks like that’s the feedback I am going to get! Thanks again @aart for taking the time and I am going to hope that by “a few” you mean 5 and go for it! (Since it does fit those minimums of 4 sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10 ft per chicken in the run, and they will get some tractoring/free ranging time too each week.)These chickens need a coop ASAP!

I am going to hope that by “a few” you mean 5 and go for it!
Well, I don't...a few would be 3 ;)
....but it might work out just fine and is a decent place to start.
Your weather is mild there, that will help.
Go for the polycarb panel instead of that window in the roof,
you don't want to re-do that down the road.

I built a coop with slightly more than 4 sq. ft. per bird, and my 4 birds are now 14 weeks and it's clear to me there should be more space. They'll be getting bigger. I had to redesign the feeding system (now going to make PVC feeder and waterer) to take up less space. Instead of an indoor nest box I'm going to build an addition, with extra space as well as the nest box. The run seems big enough (it's about 54 sq. ft); they have room under roof to stay cool and dig holes, and roof under the HW cloth for plenty of fresh air and some sunshine when they want. I live in Vermont and I know that there will be days they won't go outside, and that coop as is will not do.

Back
Top Bottom