Constructive feedback on coop/run design idea

zinnia5117

Chirping
Jul 10, 2018
West Linn, OR
Hi everyone,

This is my very rough draft idea for the coop (although I still may just buy one).
I would love any constructive feedback. You can say it sucks, but then say how you would do it better. No commenting on my lame art skills, although asking for clarification is fine. Yes, I know my kindergartener can draw better. This will be for five standard sized chickens and they will also have access to our fenced backyard when we are around, probably in a smaller, temporarily fenced area plus I am planning to build a chicken tractor if possible.

I live in Oregon in the Portland Metro area, and the climate is similar to the Willamette Valley. The sketch is drawn facing west (you are looking at it from the west) and the coop is on the south end.
There would be some boards around the bottom to contain the litter in the deep litter method, and a board underneath everything to help keep moisture at bay from the ambient environment (it is wet anywhere on our property, but less so here). Obviously nothing is set in stone with a sketch in rejected computer paper, so have at it.

Here are at least a few questions I have:

1. Where would you put the human door? It could go on the front or back, probably around the middle.

2. I have two books on green roofs but they are not focused on chicken coops. Any advice from someone with experience with them? I am thinking extra support for weight bearing, but is there a rule of thumb for that? The green roof would be to filter the water a bit since it would be coming down via the deck.

3. Placement of the watering barrel is on the north so if there is spillover, the dirt is right there and the water is not running the length of the coop before draining. But I am open to other ideas or links to threads that address rainwater catchment systems. It could be on the south end (where the coop is) too. I would just need an idea for how to divert the water from the first flush diverted and excess spillover. South end could be nice to help warm the water and coop a little in the winter, the only thing is that we have very few days below freezing here, so it isn’t likely the whole barrel will freeze, and if it does, it would only be for a few days.

4. Are pressure treated posts okay to use as the four corners? We have some left from a fence redo and they seem pretty strong. They are 4x4s and we even have one 4x6. I feel like I read they can be toxic though, but what if I paint over them? Or am I worrying about nothing?

5. Do you have a favorite, easy-ish to build plan for the coop itself? How high off the ground should the coop be? I was thinking maybe three feet so it is easy to clean under, but if that makes it less stable, shorter (like 2 feet) could be okay. I would like the chickens to be able to roam under there. My arms are probably only 2.5 feet long though, for cleaning.

6. I saw someone’s setup with the watering nipples and am sold on that idea because I am sick of pine shavings and poop in the water dish. How do you do the food though? If it’s a suspended bucket, I am guessing it needs a strong rafter to hang from (more load bearing considerations), but other innovative ideas would be cool. And do you typically put the food in the run or coop? I feel like I’ve read run a lot on here but it’s hard to know if my sampling of posts is representative.

05F708C8-EDE5-4F77-9029-0B601CB9D4A1.jpeg

Context: where I am planning to put it. This has already been discussed so I don’t need additional feedback on this decision. Do I really have ten feet there? Hmm, better go measure..
F1130E1A-5AA9-40AE-AC26-F1DD9A8C3F62.jpeg
Okay, that was a lot of questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who has ideas to share.

First off is there any way to make the coop section larger? It's going to be tight for 5 hens and that's without including a nest box (as that eats up floor space). Where were you planning to put the nest box? In order to help with access to compensate for a larger coop, maybe add a hatch door that can swing open right by where it says 6' with the up arrow, in the bottom right corner of the drawing? Or maybe one by the other side of the stairs, if the unit is intended to go all the way to the house.

1. Human door where you feel it makes sense... I honestly can't say I've noticed any difference between where my various doors are.

4. Pressure treated wood is no longer treated with arsenic so should be safe (though I admit I personally don't use it for anything other than ground contact usage, i.e. my coop skids).

5. Pros and cons: The coop sitting up higher does make it harder to build a ramp to the entrance (you'd need a longer ramp the higher you go to keep the angle low), but it'll make it easier for you to access the underside. Given that you're putting it under the deck, if the coop sits up at 3', how much height would there be inside the coop? Height isn't necessarily a key concern in a coop, but it does help add air volume and also makes it a lot easier to ventilate, as it's hard to get ventilation into a short coop without putting it facing into a roost bar.

6. In your sketch there's absolutely no room in coop for food/water. As far as how to place the feeder, I also have no support beams so instead of hanging I simply elevate the feeders and waterer on things like bricks, concrete blocks, overturned flower pots, etc.

I would make it a big as possible to fit where it's going. don't make a little box for them to sleep in! On one end enclose the 5' side and part of each of the 10' sides about 4', this will provide a wind break. You have very mild weather there (I'm jealous). Under the roost put a droppings board and under that the nest box (can be one big one). Hardware cloth the rest. If your going to remove the pavers put a 1x6 skirt around the bottom to help contain what ever you put in there like pine chips.

Lumber's magic number is 8 so if it is evenly divisible there is little waste. If you have the room make it 8' x as long as you can.

Your drawing looks fine to me, and provides enough information.

Make the roof overhang to help shed water away from the chickens.

JT

Thank you so much to both of you for your feedback! The design has changed quite a bit and I'll try to put it up soon. @jthornton How much overhang do you usually suggest? Is 6 inches enough? Does it need to be a foot? This coop is somewhat protected from angled rain because it is under a deck, but definitely some overhang seems like a good idea.

Thank you so much to both of you for your feedback! The design has changed quite a bit and I'll try to put it up soon. @jthornton How much overhang do you usually suggest? Is 6 inches enough? Does it need to be a foot? This coop is somewhat protected from angled rain because it is under a deck, but definitely some overhang seems like a good idea.

Yea the amount of overhand does depend on the location and other structures nearby and the height. I like a lot of overhang and usually have 12" to 24" of overhang.

JT

I like a lot of overhang, too. Keeps the rain out, keeps the summer sun out mid-day, no rain on you while you’re fiddling with the human door or something.

Just adding that I agree with the 3’ x 5’ coop being too small for five birds. Five chickens need 20 sq. ft. Minimum, and even four need 16 sq. ft.

View attachment 1858557 Here is the new design. You can see that I ditched the green roof idea - after reading some research that green roof runoff contains higher levels of nitrites, I think, I figured let's just stick with the regular rainwater runoff and not complicate things. Especially since it is a bit more complicated since this structure is going under our deck and stairs.

View attachment 1858560
Hope it's not too many pictures but it took a lot of time to draw. (I scanned them in but couldn't figure out how to rotate... oops). I am planning to put hardboard down under the whole thing since it's directly on a paver patio, to protect the pavers. I'm hoping the coop is not too "top heavy" although I feel like I've seen similar coops on here. The roofing is metal but also incorporates a large window I found on Craigslist. The whole structure uses pallets and regular framing lumber. Any feedback or ideas for improvement would be great.
View attachment 1858561 View attachment 1858563 View attachment 1858540

Attachments

• coop front color.pdf
    424.8 KB · Views: 7
  • coop front.pdf
    324.7 KB · Views: 4
  • coop back.pdf
    263.7 KB · Views: 2
  • coop north side.pdf
    349.1 KB · Views: 3
  • coop run south side.pdf
    344.7 KB · Views: 1