1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Consumed Blu Kote!? Will she be okay?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BeanHen, Dec 23, 2015.

1. BeanHen

BeanHen Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    I made a terrible mistake.
    My BO pullet (hatched last May) is at the bottom of the pecking order. Today I saw that her comb had been pecked. I cleaned it and put Blu Kote on it --not even stopping to think about the fact that it would get into her nose and mouth! I only used one dab, but it seems to be enough that she sneezed a few times and expelled some. Her tongue also had some on it.
    What should I do? Did I just poison my hen?!? I can't imagine it could be that poisonous...but is there anything I can do?!?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I think she will be fine, from the ingredients it looks like a bird would actually have to consume a decent amount to have any serious effects. I think I'd be more concerned about making sure it did not get into her eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by