Contemplating ducks, advice please.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by paddyg84, Aug 6, 2013.

1. paddyg84

paddyg84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Have 4 chickens and have recently moved to a new house in the country. Have a big garden and lots of land and a big stream running along side so thinking of ducks.

Will I need a new house? My coop is spacious enough for a couple more birds. If I get them a house of their own will they come home in evenings like hens do? Also where do they lay? Will they be able to eat and drink from the same type of feeder and drinker I use for the hens or is there a specific duck type? Oh and finally will they not just fly away?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Pros of ducks: lots of fun to have around, lay eggs that are great to eat, entertaining, and edible.
    Cons of ducks: mud, messes, high water demand.

They will go to their coop at night if introduced to it properly. I'd advise not allowing drake ducks near chickens - they can attempt to breed and actually kill the chicken. They don't lay reliably in the same place.
    They can eat and drink out of equipment that you would use for chickens.
    Certain breeds aren't good flyers anyway and if you feed them and interact with them they won't fly off.
    Go to the Care & Management page of the link below - it is from a duck hatchery and very informative.
    Good luck to you!

http://www.metzerfarms.com/

3. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by