contemplating getting ducks for our pond...

Sgt_P

Songster
Nov 11, 2018
Conway, SC
I've got a ton of questions...

We live on 5 acres, with a 1 acre pond, in Conway, SC. The Waccamaw river is right across the street, and the stream feeding and leaving the pond is heavily wooded.

I want to get Mandarins (two drakes and two hens), and have them pinioned, so they stay. But I wasn't planning on a coop (other than Nesting Boxes poled in the pond).

Am I setting them up for predators? I worry about snapping turtles, coyotes, raccoons, etc.

Is it possible to have a small flock of free roaming Mandarins, that won't fly off?

You are setting them up for predator....do you have woods? I would clip there wings so they can't fly, but it would defeat the purpose of protection from predator( they can fly up in a tree...I think...unless that is wood ducks?).

You are setting them up for predator....do you have woods? I would clip there wings so they can't fly, but it would defeat the purpose of protection from predator( they can fly up in a tree...I think...unless that is wood ducks?).

Thank you for the reply! I need all the advice I can get!

So, if I read between the lines, they would be safer if I don't clip their wings.
But I also don't want to pay $50-100 per bird, to just have them fly away.
Any secrets there??

I've got a ton of questions...

We live on 5 acres, with a 1 acre pond, in Conway, SC. The Waccamaw river is right across the street, and the stream feeding and leaving the pond is heavily wooded.

I want to get Mandarins (two drakes and two hens), and have them pinioned, so they stay. But I wasn't planning on a coop (other than Nesting Boxes poled in the pond).

Am I setting them up for predators? I worry about snapping turtles, coyotes, raccoons, etc.

Is it possible to have a small flock of free roaming Mandarins, that won't fly off?
Agree with Miss Lydia-- your best bet is to post in this forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ornamental-fowl-swans-etc.46/

It sounds like you live in wood duck territory and have the right habitat for them. If it was me, I would build some nest boxes for wood ducks and see if that attracts them before shelling out for Mandarins. Both are equally beautiful, in my opinion, but you don't have to take care of wild wood ducks.

Agree with Miss Lydia-- your best bet is to post in this forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ornamental-fowl-swans-etc.46/

It sounds like you live in wood duck territory and have the right habitat for them. If it was me, I would build some nest boxes for wood ducks and see if that attracts them before shelling out for Mandarins. Both are equally beautiful, in my opinion, but you don't have to take care of wild wood ducks.

Great advice from you and Miss Lydia!
I am in wood duck territory, and they are beautiful (although the Mandarins steal my eye...) I'll try some Wood Duck nesting boxes and see if I can attract them!

I'll also steal a peak over in the ornamental section...
Thanks to all!

Back
Top Bottom