Ended Contest #7 Most Striking Domestic MALE Fowl Contest 5th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-a-long!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squote name="Candy442" url="/t/863243/contest-7-most-striking-domestic-male-fowl-contest-5th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/270#post_13350352"]EE Rooster-Standard size

One year old

"TwoTone"

It is my understanding that birds like this are a rare 1/2 male 1/2 female. Does anyone know if that's true or just a fable. Curious?[/QUOTE]

They can be but not necessarily. It is called a Chimera. Two embrios merge and become one. If one is female and the other male it is a hermaphrodite.

In horses the brown and the black should not be able to express at the same time except if it is a chimera. In birds, as well as crustaceans, the division splits down the spine. Sometimes you see it in horses too but it usually shows in a divided face and is more randomly merged in the rest of the body.

I used to have some photos of a cardinal that was divided between the female and the male coloration. Can't find it now. However if both of the embrios were male or female you wouldn't even know you were looking at a chimera when it comes to cardinals.

In the case of this chicken it is two males with different feather patterns because there are pointed roo feathers on both sides of the divide. You can possibly get offspring from either color pattern depending on how the internal sexual organs ended up being formed. You shouldn't be able to get a split offspring unless a new incident of merging takes place with two embrios.

Last edited:
It is my understanding that birds like this are a rare 1/2 male 1/2 female. Does anyone know if that's true or just a fable. Curious?[/quote]

it is rare however he is 2 halves of male as far as we know...he has fathered chicks :) . I am not sure what the condition is named but he is beautiful. Its nice having two different colors on one boy :). Gave him a real bad comb however...

Last edited:
@HickoryHollow He is lovely!

Just a friendly reminder to everyone so you don't get Disqualified:

Contest Rules:

Open to ALL BYC members in the Continental U.S. ONLY (No Alaska or Hawaii)
Entries welcome for all types of Male domestic Fowl– chickens, ducks, quail, etc.
ONLY 1 MALE BIRD entry per member but may include up to 3 pictures of the same bird in order show all his striking features.
The picture must be a male bird in his natural plumage.
No Photoshop, dye jobs or captions allowed.
Your submission must be your own photo and not used in a previous contest.
To submit your entries, simply post your images in this thread.

PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING IN YOUR POST
Name of Bird:
Bantam or Standard

The decision of the winning images shall be made by the judges and will be final.
BYC Administration reserves the right to disqualify any artists/eggs not following the rules.
Sorry, I didn't realise this was U.S only. I entered but I am in the UK. :(

[IMG
This is Buster.....aka bustsa move...
He is not quit a year.....
Weighs in about 5 lbs....
Loves his ladies....
Frizzle...

t/400[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back