Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

Came home from work...a pile of boxes in end of driveway.
There was a note on mailbox from UPS driver.." could not get to front door,
The chickens attacked me." I have one lityle, 1 lb banty roo. Our ups driver is at least 300lbs.
too funny!
Kr:D

So after we lost our beloved Rooster Mr Russell Crowe...one of my friends called and asked if I wanted a sweet young rooster that was one of 9. According to her the person who had him had hatched out a bunch of eggs and they all turned out to be roosters. I said yes and drove 2 hours to pick him up. I was so excited when I saw him! He was black with some green feathering and a pretty, very long black and green tail feathers. My friend had decided that she wanted to take him out of the box he had been in for the first part of his journey until I got there to take him home. I had brought along our regular dog crate/chicken crate that had some fresh clean shavings. As my friend went to put this now freaked out, never before handled rooster into the crate, he bolted right out of her arms and went into a dead run to the nearest trees. It is in march in Maine, still snow on the ground and ice in the pond. For the next three hours...yes three hour.s 4 adults chased that poor freaking out little rooster through the woods, under trees on the ice. We would get him cornered, almost had him then he would jump up and over all of us. We were all covered in mud, freezing and getting a little fustrated, Now mind you my friends husband is a pure city boy, had never been around chickens before. He was about 6ft tall and approx 250 pounds, when the rooster got close to him, he wound run the other way. Picture this now, a young roosters who is scared cold and tired running and in front of him was this large tall guy running away screaming " get him away from me". After a couple of hours with this cat and mouse game, I was able to sneak up on the rooster-who by the way had now gained the name Sheldon(after Big Bang theory because he kept out smarting all of us) I snuck up on him in the tall grass, reached down and grabbed a hand full of tail feather, only to have every single tail feather come out of the rooster. I stood there holding a handful of pretty green and black tail feathers and there goes Sheldon running the other way once again, only this time with a very bald bottom! We were able to catch him a few moments later due to him being just too tired to run any longer. It was dark and cold and by this time I am really the only one willing to keep chasing him. He is now one of the sweetest roosters I have ever had and all the ladies just love him. He has never grown back his tail feathers and once in a while, you can see him jump, as though he has been goosed, I could not figure out why until one day, I saw one of the ladies peck his bare bottom where instead of feathers, there is just his bare bottom. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.
lau.gif

This is Honey Bear. The sweetest Buff Orpington in the whole wide world. She follows me around the garden like a puppy.

One afternoon, I heard the doorbell ring, I knew I couldn't get through the house in time to answer it. So I dashed out through the garage. And I can hear her toe nails on the garage floor right behind me, click, click, click. And I worry about dogs being off leash out front so I turn around, scoop her up and carry her out front with me. At the front door is a solar panel salesman who's eyes get really big and he says, "WOAH! WOW! What is that? Is that a goose?" Honey Bear who is typically quiet, piped up with a bawk bawk bok bok bok. Because a goose she is most certainly not!

But I have to admit, she went broody and we let her raise a batch of chicks and one of her many nick names is Mother Goose.

My husband and I like to watch our chickens from our kitchen window. One day while spying on them Olive, our village idiot, went running across the yard in her usual sporadic way. With all of the other birds watching like she was crazy she ran in to her pen. Much to our surprise out came a squirrel followed by Olive. I have never seen her so upset. After chasing him through the yard she got him with a couple punches with her claws. Turns out this critter has been thieving her food. The squirrel got away but I bet he will think twice next time. I guess Olive is less idiotic than we thought. It was just so darn funny to watch!

So after we lost our beloved Rooster Mr Russell Crowe...one of my friends called and asked if I wanted a sweet young rooster that was one of 9. According to her the person who had him had hatched out a bunch of eggs and they all turned out to be roosters. I said yes and drove 2 hours to pick him up. I was so excited when I saw him! He was black with some green feathering and a pretty, very long black and green tail feathers. My friend had decided that she wanted to take him out of the box he had been in for the first part of his journey until I got there to take him home. I had brought along our regular dog crate/chicken crate that had some fresh clean shavings. As my friend went to put this now freaked out, never before handled rooster into the crate, he bolted right out of her arms and went into a dead run to the nearest trees. It is in march in Maine, still snow on the ground and ice in the pond. For the next three hours...yes three hour.s 4 adults chased that poor freaking out little rooster through the woods, under trees on the ice. We would get him cornered, almost had him then he would jump up and over all of us. We were all covered in mud, freezing and getting a little fustrated, Now mind you my friends husband is a pure city boy, had never been around chickens before. He was about 6ft tall and approx 250 pounds, when the rooster got close to him, he wound run the other way. Picture this now, a young roosters who is scared cold and tired running and in front of him was this large tall guy running away screaming " get him away from me". After a couple of hours with this cat and mouse game, I was able to sneak up on the rooster-who by the way had now gained the name Sheldon(after Big Bang theory because he kept out smarting all of us) I snuck up on him in the tall grass, reached down and grabbed a hand full of tail feather, only to have every single tail feather come out of the rooster. I stood there holding a handful of pretty green and black tail feathers and there goes Sheldon running the other way once again, only this time with a very bald bottom! We were able to catch him a few moments later due to him being just too tired to run any longer. It was dark and cold and by this time I am really the only one willing to keep chasing him. He is now one of the sweetest roosters I have ever had and all the ladies just love him. He has never grown back his tail feathers and once in a while, you can see him jump, as though he has been goosed, I could not figure out why until one day, I saw one of the ladies peck his bare bottom where instead of feathers, there is just his bare bottom. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound.
lau.gif

That's an awesome story. LOVE the rooster names.

We call it "The Incident" and she hasn't been the same since......"Pecky" our very aggressive (yes, she lives up to her name) little Barred Plymouth Rock was strolling around in the bushes one day, she was about 14 weeks old at the time......I kept trying to get her out of the bushes, because there was a sticky fly tape hanging in there (we had quite a fly problem around the coop over the summer). Well, she wouldn't listen and BAM her wing got caught in the sticky fly tape, then she started screaming and wrapped herself all up in it then somehow managed to be "thrown" out of the bushes, laying on her back wrapped in the fly tape screaming! I was mortified I didn't know whether to laugh or cry because it was so bizarre looking.

I ran over to her trying to calmly pull it off, it was terrible! I screamed for my husband and he came running, knelt down and ripped all the fly tape off of her in one swipe! I knew it was going to be bad that's why I couldn't do it and sure enough her whole butt was BARE. We now say yes, she got a "brazilian".

We spent the evening bathing her in lavender soap and warm water in the sink to get all the sticky off her (which she loved), she became VERY calm and sub-dued, she bounced back two days later with all new feathers and we can hold her and cuddle her now :).

"The Incident" changed our little pecky!

My story is short and sweet. I am new to keeping chickens so I am still learning how they react in certain situations. My 3 girls along with my blonde lab love bananas so I decided to show some visiting friends how much they liked to devour them. We let them out of the run and while I was feeding them the banana my dog Daisy was trying to get her fare share of the banana so I picked off a piece and thru it into the yard hoping to get her attention away from the banana. As soon as I thru that piece of the banana Daisy took off running, but so did my Elizabeth Taylor (ameraucana). I could not believe that Elizabeth Taylor beat Daisy to that piece of banana and gulped it down before anyone knew what happened. It was such a funny site to see.

My family thinks I went off the deep end when I decided to raise chickens, all except my 19 year old daughter, she is an animal lover. Well at the time this happened I had been raising chickens about 2 years and had about 10 hens and 1 rooster. One of our hens was particularly spoiled due to the fact that she was the only hen out of 3 that our first broody hatched. We named her Sweet Pea and I didn't clip her wing feathers because the others with her were over 2 years old and never tried to fly anymore so I thought she wouldn't either! Well I was wrong. A couple of times she went over our chain link fence but I was able to entice her back by shaking the scratch container. I thought she had learned her lesson, but again I was wrong! I went out one afternoon to find her pecking and scratching in the neighbors yard. There must have been some good bugs hiding out in their yard because she wasn't coming back. I recruited my daughter and we headed over to retrieve our beloved Sweet Pea. That chicken meant business she wasn't coming back any time soon! We were running around 3 houses chasing her with a pool net when she decided to run out to the busy road
barnie.gif
We backed off and she came back towards the houses and just when I thought we had her cornered she took refuge in a huge pine tree. As it turns out she wasn't planning on staying gone forever, as soon as the sun started to go down she flew down and flew over the fence back to the safety of the coop. As soon as she roosted she got her wings clipped. I think the funniest part was how embarrassed my daughter was during the whole escapade! She was so afraid someone she knew would see us with our pool equipment chasing a chicken
lau.gif
Got to love parenting and chicken keeping!

One night when I went out to shut the door on the coop, I counted heads and one of the banty hens was missing. I ran back up to the house up to look in the nest bucket by the garage and she was there in the nest so I thought she must have gone broody. I got another empty bucket, put hay in it, and set it in the small hutch with my two other broody hens. I tried to pick her up but she ran away and went out to the big coop. So I let her in to perch with the other chickens.
The next morning I came downstairs and glanced out the sliding glass doors on the back of the house. My large boody hen, Sami, was in the open door of the hutch flapping her wings and cackling! I ran outside in my bare feet and nightgown because I thought something had gotten in the hutch! Sami, the hen, flew out and started running away so I grabbed her and carried her back to the hutch pen. I realized I had not shut the door tight last night when I was going to catch the little banty I thought was broody. Then I looked down and saw I had a big splattery messy chicken poop all over the side of my nightgown, which had been newly washed the day before. Meanwhile my other broody banty gets up and goes to sit on Sami’s nest and Sami broody hen goes and sits on the banty nest. I went into the house to change and get ready for work. By the time I got back outside broody banty was setting up a fuss about the switched nests! I had to go get broody Sami off broody banty nest and back onto her own. I don’t know if you have ever messed with a broody chicken sitting on her nest, but they are usually none too happy about it. They make funny growling chicken noises and the try to peck and bite you. I managed to pick Sami up and shoo banty onto the other nest, so now they are happy again. I checked on my other banty I thought was broody and she had laid an egg and run off to play. Trouble maker!

th.gif

Tingles

Mom hugs dad and smiles. The night grows old and our friends leave, I don’t realize how late it has become and I walk across the empty house, across the cold tiles to open a sliding door.

Its frightfully chilly outside at our newly purchased home, the stars accent the dark, night sky and the smell of freshly placed hay lingers in the air. Small, almost ticklish sounds can be heard towards the chicken coop. I walk across the yard, into the chicken run, and the into the coop. The odd sound is louder now, but my flashlight isn’t working. Strange tingling feelings run across my feet, something crawls on my leg. Suddenly, the flashlight works. Hundreds of thousands, it seemed, of orange Beetles run to scatter in the coop, near the roosting chickens, near the egg boxes, in the hay, under the feeder and past me.

I let out a scream and some eww-ewW-EWWs! Someone opens our sliding door, our new neighbors turn on their back porch lights. I suddenly yell, "Get 'em chickens (eww!) Get 'em! Get 'em!" My arms grab each chicken off the roost in a desperate attempt to rid of Utah's foreign invader, the Japanese Beetle. Heavy laughter comes from the porch and our new neighbors across the way but my flock had defeated the Japanese beetles to end my sorrow of the creepy crawlers of the night in a mere 20 seconds. The laughter dies and the coop door is shut, I walk inside and simply shutter.

The End!

A True Story By,
Whittni

968694687.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom