Controlling Bees

these things are nuts they fly all over the yard and they actually hit us and the chickens. and they do not move on, they were doing the same thing last year. it is awful. they literally bang at the windows.
well that's not fun.
idunno.gif
The ones I have encountered have not been aggressive.

I don't think the link Firbrd attached is the same as what you are talking about. I have them all around my house - they look like slow bumble bees. They are boring bees, they tunnel into untreated wood and lay eggs. When they hatch, they chew their way out, not back out the original hole! My pest guy said to treat the wood and they won't bother it. I hope this is helpful!

Maybe they have a nest somewhere? I would call pest control, or look in craigslist ads (where I live, there are a lot of people who advertise they will remove bee nests for free, I'm assuming to relocate them to a farmed hive?) to see if someone would be willing to move the nest without killing the bees. They are very important to our ecosystem, without them we would have almost no plant life. Especially with their numbers rapidly declining, we need as many bees bumbling around as possible!

Otherwise I would look into natural repellents, or prevent them from getting into the wood (some kinda lacquer?)

Carpenter Bees are the big black ones. Our Carpenter Bees are almost becoming like pets lol. They are territorial so u see the same ones in the same parts of the yard every day.. The females can sting, but u would almost have to grab one to upset it. They are very aggressive against the wasps in our yard and around the house and chase them away. You can set out wood blocks to nest in to keep them away from stuff u like. I want pollination in my yard so I leave them alone.

funny as it sounds just get a tennis racket and swing away. they are fast but well hover long enough and its not hard. think i killed about 12 or so in a day last year. Got some funny looks but hey it works.

I built my coop between two cedar trees. Thought it would be great for shade etc since they are like big Christmas trees. Bees are always flying all over those trees. I'm thinking they are yellow jackets but I'm not real sure. Last year I got stung 6 times just walking by. An ice storm took care of one of the trees. I trimmed the one they really like up a little higher so the branches aren't so close to the ground. So far this year I have not been stung.

I just tried watering one and it was under high pressure water for more than a 5 minutes and it lived

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom