1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Controlling Chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CritterHill, May 16, 2008.

1. CritterHill

CritterHill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    SE PA
    Ok, so I brought the baby chicks into my daughter's preschool when they were 5 days old. Fantastic, everything went swimmingly.

The teacher asked me to bring them back every few weeks so the kids could see how they were growing.

I brought them in today (almost 3 weeks old) - only brought 4 thanks goodness, but it was a zoo!

At a couple points, the chicks decided to charge the circle of preschoolers surrounding them causing mass hysteria!

No one was hurt (I was afraid of chicks getting trampled!) but it was exciting.

Now I am supposed to bring them back in in a couple weeks...

Is there such a thing as a chicken leash? How can I keep them under control?

2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    What about a small wire cage like small livestock is shown in at fairs & shows? Would that work? Your feed store should have something suitable.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

They're probably a bit too small for a leash yet...
    I use adjustable cat leashes for Slifer and Obelisk when I took them out...
    A small box like an air conditioner box would be good.

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got chicken saddles that have a ring attached (like a key ring) specifically made to be used for a leash. But, you'd have to have one made much smaller!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by