Controlling rust, is paint ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LoneCowboy, Jul 2, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I made a homemade waterer, but it really rusts bad. That can't be good for the chickens. Can I paint them with spray paint, or is that worse? [​IMG]

2. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Spray paint, when completely cured, is inert enough. But, Id suggest you make them out of something else, that doesn't rust.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, I've ordered those lids for 3-5 gallon buckets they just aren't here yet and I need a water for some chicks coming in. I like to have a small waterer inside the coop and a large one outside. But when I have chicks coming, I have to steal one of the small ones for them and replace it with this homemade thing. DH won't let me buy anymore waterers [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    if it's rusting that bad, paint isn't going to make much of any difference (not for more than a week ish, anyhow). Especially now that rust has already set in. Probably makes most sense to just figure out a way of building new waterers from nonrusting materials, sorry.

Good luck,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by