Conure and Parakeet Questions

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Hi there. I’ve thought about getting a Green Cheek Conure before and I’m thinking again. Currently I have 2 zebra finches 9 chickens and 3 parakeets. Also, I rescued a parakeet a couple months back and my 2 parakeets don’t seem to accept it. The system was I started with 2 parakeets and when one died I would get another to keep it from getting lonely. But recently someone couldn’t keep their parakeet so they gave it to me. I moved it in with my ones but they’re always fighting now, and I don’t get why?? Anyways, I know this probably wouldn’t help with the parakeet situation but I want to add a hand raised gcc to my flock and I was wondering if they would get along? I’ve heard that it’s not a good idea but it could work. I do plan on getting a bigger cage for all of them, (I would also need help with finding one :) More questions to come

Conures can and will injure smaller birds. My brother had his chew the toes off his parakeet. Conures are also quite loud in case you weren't aware of that.

Which parakeets are fighting? Same sex or opposite? How big is your cage? I keep multiple parakeets that occasionally bicker, but nothing serious. You could add another parakeet to even out the numbers if your cage is big enough.

Yeah, I'm fine with loud birds. But I guess not a conure then if it would injure my budgies. Maybe a cockatiel? The new one is a male and my other two are male and female. Since I now have three I am getting a bigger cage soon, but I don't think space is the issue because there are multiple other perches they can sit on but they chose to sit on the same perch and fight. For example, I'm currently trying to teach them to step up and when I give treats the old 2 will share but when the new one comes it'll try fighting them off. It's weird because my old male is around the same age as the new male and I would expect them to get along. Should I consider re-homing? I really don't want to, but I also want to keep it from being aggressive to my old birds. Something I forgot to mention was in its old house it was a sweet bird at the start but the owner had a baby who pulled its tail and scared it to death, and it lived with another budgie that died, and that's when I got a hold of it. Another thing is as I am trying to teach my elderly female parakeet to step up she steps up and then just starts biting me, but not super hard, like medium and doesn't get off until I make her. What's she doin??

You could just put the single budgie in a separate cage. The other pair is bonded, so the two males with fight for the single female.

Your female bites because she doesn't want your finger in her space. I find it's easier to tame a single young bird. My older ones I don't handle, and they don't like it anyways.

A single bird will often bond with it's human owner like it was a mate, so it will like to be handled and interacted with more.

Your older pair are probably more interested in breeding, even though they can't raise any without a nestbox.

I personally wouldn't add other bird species into a cage with other ones. It can work but in general it's best to give each species their own cages, and perhaps house them together in a single room, in separate cages for safe company.

Thank you. Won't the parakeet be alone though? Parakeets are flock animals so it doesn't fit right for me to put it by itself. What small parrot would you reccomend? I'm looking for a friendly companion that will live 10-20 years. Noise is fine, I can handle it all. I'm also looking for something below $350. I would say I'm not a beginner but not super experienced. I'm in the middle. Thanks again. :)

Thank you. Won't the parakeet be alone though? Parakeets are flock animals so it doesn't fit right for me to put it by itself. What small parrot would you reccomend? I'm looking for a friendly companion that will live 10-20 years. Noise is fine, I can handle it all. I'm also looking for something below $350. I would say I'm not a beginner but not super experienced. I'm in the middle. Thanks again. :)
As long as the cages are close to each other it will be fine. You could get the other male a mate. Otherwise if the fighting is mostly noise than you could leave them together, and expect some bickering which is actually a normal behavior.

For little birds I like cockatiel, lovebirds, and parrotlets. I would house it in a separate cage but by the parakeets for company. Adding a mirror to the cage can help too. There are lots of nice little conures too to pick from. Pick what you like and can find.

Any you will want to tame, so keeping them in their own cage will help keep them bonded to you. I used to have the cutest little hand fed lovebird called Norman. He was a nice little guy. He would go and hang out on the parakeet cage when out and would dance back and forth.

Great, now I want another lovebird. :)

I have a canary wing parakeet that’s great! She gets jealous if my finches perch on me, but otherwise she’s fine with them. They range from $200 to $400 in price, and live 15-20 years. They are about as loud as a GCC, but they use their voice a lot more. Very affectionate and snuggly birds. I’ve never had such a bond with any animal.

Attachments

• 5762EA7B-91D6-4EB6-A04A-D9D91AB2D47E.jpeg
    5762EA7B-91D6-4EB6-A04A-D9D91AB2D47E.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom