Conure too friendly

WallyBirdie

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
My conure has become a great companion. He and I spend a lot of time together and he's learning so much.

When I eat, I make sure to have something he can have, so when he comes over he can eat with me.
He's always been patient and pleasant.

But I had a guest over who sat down to eat, and my conure went right over and ate off their plate.

This did not go over well.
What can/should I do?

You and your conure live there. Friend doesn’t. Friend must realize you and conure are buddies and that’s how it is at your place.
Thank you. My guest reacted like I'd done something wrong. I never saw any harm in handing over fresh veggies or a small treat to further the bond I have with my boy.
I never thought about how that would play out in front of company.

Yeah, no such thing as too friendly.
My dogs aren't going to jump up on you, my cats aren't going to scratch, but if you don't want to be petting someone, my house is not the place to be, because they WILL all come up and say Hi and want some attention.

Now, my cats, who have no manners, do get their own meal (somewhere else) at meal time, and if someone has a phobia, I'll work with them. Not by banishing my huge dog, but I'll certainly ask her to down and stay. A lot of people are very nervous about being bitten by parrots, even small ones, so I'd keep the bird by me.

But really, you're doing something right if your bird is happy to approach a stranger.

Back
Top Bottom