Conver lt into a coop

chickmama2014

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Who is a good sketch artist? 😝 I want to turn this into a new coop. My thoughts are putting 4 nest boxes on the back side. Wrapping the bottom and right side with chicken wire or good paneling to keep predators out. Making a ramp from the small side door on the right for them to get in and out and adding a window somewhere towards the top.
What size wood do I need to make these nest boxes? I’m doing this in my own because hubby thinks they can just free range and be ok. So any help a girl can get I’d appreciate. Do my studs need to be 2x3 2x4? I have no clue! I also have metal roofing scrap to put on the sides and over nest boxes once built to preserve the wood.

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpeg
    IMG_1054.jpeg
    747.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1055.jpeg
    IMG_1055.jpeg
    860.8 KB · Views: 12
One nest box would be enough. A milk crate would work.

How many birds and about where do you live? You'll need to add more ventilation for sure.
I have 6. 4 normal sized and two small hens. (Silkie and polish). I live in south central Iowa.

Worked on the coop a little yesterday since it was finally nice. Going to pick up fencing next weekend. Still need to side the sides of the wood and finish the run. It’s slow going but can’t wait for the finished project. I have turf in the nest boxes and on a small 2x3 slab by one door so they can get off the wire. Bigger chickens probably wouldn’t want their nest boxes stacked would they? I thought I could do that for more room but I’m guessing they’ll be in the run all day until roost time so maybe it doesn’t matter.

Attachments

• IMG_1102.png
    IMG_1102.png
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1103.png
    IMG_1103.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom