Conversion of "3 sides totally open" aviary to a "good for chickens" coop.

Pics
Got them all in one photo at one time.

CltCyUb.jpg

I am suspecting one of the GLW is a boy.... Out of all 10, it is the one with the pinkest comb and I think I saw a little bit of pink earlobes or wattles peeking thru. We will see!

Spent most of the day getting the netting on top of the run. It is really hard to see once installed, which is kind of the point since we will be looking down into the run from the second floor deck.

Don't even ask me how I dealt with the tree with multiple trunks at roof level in the run.....it is a mix of small chunks of netting stapled to the tree, zip tied to each other, etc.. Haha. It is secure and does seal all the gaps in the tree. But it ain't pretty!

Now that I spent a solid day installing the netting on top of the wires I ran a few weeks back, I already am wondering if I should have just made a wood framework out of some 8 foot 4 by 4's for verticals and some 2 by 4's for a roof frame, attaching some 2 by 4 inch heavy duty fencing like I have on the walls of the run. We will see how Autumn/Winter treats us when the leaves drop on top of the netting and then see if something more substantial needs to be made for the future. I have no clue how I am going to clear the fallen leaves from this. Like.....no idea at all. But this should at least last me thru this Autumn......I hope!

0eLYgtY.jpg
fnEmPhY.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. Someone posted that they used a leaf blower from underneath to lighten a snow load this winter. Genius idea if you get out there before there is already a foot accumulated! Haha. I think I will most likely try to leaf blow the netting as things collect. Figure it is the same concept as snow where you need to catch it before it gets thick.

On another note, I let them venture out into freedom today. At one point I think we were up to 7 or 8 out of 10. A couple couldn't work out how to get out the door and just kept pacing back and forth at the wire wall.

R51nzXc.jpg
4ApMbef.jpg

Still pretty sure one GLW is a boy. My daughter noticed a fairly pink comb and said "daddy, that chicken has something growing out of its head.....".

Proof that even "aged" wood chips can still have fungal blooms. This pile was chipped and delivered around January 15th. Never saw any super large bloom. But this morning I found this on top of the pile. 2.5 months after chipping. Bright yellow. About 18 inches wide.

Rpf40jJ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom