Convert carport to coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by montanacamper, Aug 8, 2014.

1. montanacamper

montanacamper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    North Carolina
    I am new to this. I found this picture on the net. Does this seem like a good setup that would keep the chicks safe? The carport location has small gravel, can I just put sand and fill it in (internet find). Also probably have two doors, one opening to back of nesting so easy to retrieve eggs without walking all the way through. Is this enough protection from the elements, in NC, hot summers and snow once in awhile. I thought I could let them out when I am around. Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    That set-up will keep some chicken in most of the time, and offer most predators very convenient chicken dinners. The roof will work great to keep rain and snow off, but the rest needs lots of work! Mary

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    A carport structure like that would be a great starting point with the roof for shade and precipitation protection.

But chicken wire will not deter any predators, you'll need something much more substantial especially if you expect it to deter night time predators also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by