Convert horse stall to coop

1/2" hardware cloth everywhere something could get in.
Pics would help.
stall3.jpg

Attachments

• Stall2.jpg
    Stall2.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 5
Along the back wall you could add a roost bar (and ladder) with a poop tray under it and then under that add a few nest boxes.
Keeping them on the same wall will save space.

On a different wall you could build a grow out pen/jail.

You have the advantage of a great place to start from when building a coop. I am sure plenty of the more experienced among us look at this space and go crazy thinking about how many more chicken we could add to that space! For sure read up on predator proofing, add roosts, keep the dirt floor and consider adding more dirt for easy cleanups, consider layer boxes when and if that will be appropriate for you. So many yada yadas!

But before building or adding anything what are your goals in chicken keeping? Broilers for the oven, breeding show quality stock, pest control, companionship, tell us what you want out of your chicken. Of course if just eggs that is a goal as well.

Edit- said dirt meant sand

Last edited:
You have the advantage of a great place to start from when building a coop. I am sure plenty of the more experienced among us look at this space and go crazy thinking about how many more chicken we could add to that space! For sure read up on predator proofing, add roosts, keep the dirt floor and consider adding more dirt for easy cleanups, consider layer boxes when and if that will be appropriate for you. So many yada yadas!

But before building or adding anything what are your goals in chicken keeping? Broilers for the oven, breeding show quality stock, pest control, companionship, tell us what you want out of your chicken. Of course if just eggs that is a goal as well.

Edit- said dirt meant sand

Thank you for your valuable advise. Main goals are eggs, manure, pest control, breeding , companionship.

Along the back wall you could add a roost bar (and ladder) with a poop tray under it and then under that add a few nest boxes.
Keeping them on the same wall will save space.

On a different wall you could build a grow out pen/jail.

I found a simple model on the internet uploading the picture for an idea since i have no knowledge about chicken. This picture is just to give me an idea how to go ahead with some improvements.
coop idea mod.jpg
Chicken-Coop-Poop-Deck.jpg

Back
Top Bottom