Convert horse stall to coop

I am looking on the internet at various coop ideas and this one seems to be a good one to me. I just need your expert advise on what else can be done to make this better. I am going to start off with 8 chicken and one rooster.
inside-a-chicken-coop-design  Best.jpg

I am going to start off with 8 chicken and one rooster.

You already have a Great start with the stall and the pic you uploaded showing your ideal coop is right in line with what you already have. Welcome!

There are so many options.
I suggest you sketch it out on graph paper.

Here's my theory on the 'stack up' aspect to coop design:
Bottom of pop door is best about 8" above floor so bedding doesn't get dragged out of coop.

Nice to have bottom of nests about 18" above bedding to allow use of that floor space under them(doesn't count if your nests are mounted on outside of coop).

Roosts are best about 12" higher than nests so birds won't roost(sleep) in nests and poop in them, if you use poop boards under roosts it will also 'stretch' your floor space.

Upper venting works best as high as possible above roosts so no strong drafts hit roosts in winter...and hot/moist air and ammonia can rise and exit coop.

I am looking on the internet at various coop ideas and this one seems to be a good one to me. I just need your expert advise on what else can be done to make this better. I am going to start off with 8 chicken and one rooster.
View attachment 1169594
Why the rooster? They are not required for eggs, they are required for fertilized eggs and decent protectors of your hens from hawks and daytime predators. I was just using your goals statement to ask this question. Sure they make manure too. Some people grow up with the wives tale that a rooster is a requirement for eggs.

edit-I'm pretty sure 3 nesting boxes would be adequate for your goals and numbers, and those pictured look like a great jumping off point. Do you have a decent budget to work with or are you like me and try to do everything on the cheap?

Last edited:
View attachment 1169594
It looks like the roost bars are up against the wall in this picture.
Make sure you do not put them up against the wall. They need room to fit on the bar and still not have their body touch the wall. (Does that make sense?)

Also if you notice the space on top of the nest boxes..the chickens will want to get up there and poop all over it...block that off.

I have 8 birds and four nest boxes. I have two too many next boxes.

I found a simple model on the internet uploading the picture for an idea since i have no knowledge about chicken. This picture is just to give me an idea how to go ahead with some improvements.View attachment 1169585 View attachment 1169587
Top picture...Same thing with the nest container things. They will sit on top and poop there.

Bottom pic....I personally think that is too much space in between the roost and poop board.

The deep litter method is the best thing for the floor, IMO.
Here is a good read:

Why the rooster? They are not required for eggs, they are required for fertilized eggs and decent protectors of your hens from hawks and daytime predators. I was just using your goals statement to ask this question. Sure they make manure too. Some people grow up with the wives tale that a rooster is a requirement for eggs.

edit-I'm pretty sure 3 nesting boxes would be adequate for your goals and numbers, and those pictured look like a great jumping off point. Do you have a decent budget to work with or are you like me and try to do everything on the cheap?
Not cheap but in a way that i do not spurge money spend what is needed if i have to wait i will but i believe in doing it right the first time. I am an auto technician with over 40 years working on cars.

It looks like the roost bars are up against the wall in this picture.
Make sure you do not put them up against the wall. They need room to fit on the bar and still not have their body touch the wall. (Does that make sense?)

Also if you notice the space on top of the nest boxes..the chickens will want to get up there and poop all over it...block that off.

I have 8 birds and four nest boxes. I have two too many next boxes.
Thanks made a note of your suggestions will do.

There are so many options.
I suggest you sketch it out on graph paper.

Here's my theory on the 'stack up' aspect to coop design:
Bottom of pop door is best about 8" above floor so bedding doesn't get dragged out of coop.

Nice to have bottom of nests about 18" above bedding to allow use of that floor space under them(doesn't count if your nests are mounted on outside of coop).

Roosts are best about 12" higher than nests so birds won't roost(sleep) in nests and poop in them, if you use poop boards under roosts it will also 'stretch' your floor space.

Upper venting works best as high as possible above roosts so no strong drafts hit roosts in winter...and hot/moist air and ammonia can rise and exit coop.

I am a novice so please explain to me certain terms Pop door (i guess the one with a hinge all the way in the bottom),nest is this where hen lays eggs, roost flat piece of wood.

I am very sorry i retired from working on cars got into farming because my daughter bought a farm house. Now i started to realize i need manure, pest control, and of course hens mean eggs.

The other requirements that i started to learn is coop building, feed requirements, protection from predators . Thanks with your advise and support i shall prevail.

Back
Top Bottom