Convert horse stall to coop

I am a novice so please explain to me certain terms Pop door (i guess the one with a hinge all the way in the bottom),nest is this where hen lays eggs, roost flat piece of wood.

I am very sorry i retired from working on cars got into farming because my daughter bought a farm house. Now i started to realize i need manure, pest control, and of course hens mean eggs.

The other requirements that i started to learn is coop building, feed requirements, protection from predators . Thanks with your advise and support i shall prevail.
Yes pop door is something like a 12" high 10" wide chicken door in a traditional coop that you open to let the chickens out, I don't use one or plan on needing one personally and to keep bedding in I'll put in a 12x1x4 board that I expect mine to just hop over. I wake up at sunrise anyway so I am there to let them out. They have automatic watering and 20lbs of hanging chicken feed so even were I to sleep in they are fine.

Roosts can be something as simple as 2x4's or treated landscaping timbers cut in half with the flat side up.

As far as bedding goes it is there to make a soft surface so hens don't a)injure themselves hoping off roosts to the floor and b) make poop removal either easy as with sand, or can be a ready made compost bin with around 8 inches of wood chips/leaf litter, you would just be raking in the poop every day or two to make it look more sanitary and to feed the compost in the lower layers.

With a little ingenuity you can make a coop very inexpensively and with a structural engineer mentality it can be very expensive.

I would consider these as priorities:
1)decide what flooring type you want to go with as they pop on the roosts.
2)get the roosts figured out before you get the birds.
3)nest boxes are needed once you have layers this can be done on the cheap.
4)if you have a mixed age flock with layers/non layers/rosters the primary feed needs to feed everyone, and you feed calcium supplements with crushed chicken shell or oyster shell separately trust us the bir1ds know to eat what they need. Layer feed is only appropriate if you have only a flock of mature layers.
5)decide if you want to have a pop door these can be set on timers to open/close.
6)Chicken can supplement much of their diet free ranging, but be prepared for some losses due to predation as every omnivore and carnivore that is hungry will eat them.

There are plenty more I didn't hit and have further questions for you.. they are:
Do you have welding and woodworking equipment +experience? I suspect you do.

Are you willing to scout for scraps such as pallets, metal scrap yards, and the local dump for discarded construction materials? if so you will find loads of items you can get for nearly free to make your project happen. I was fortunate nearly everything I needed for my coop was on site and I have a drainage ditch out back with loads of discarded lumber to repurpose. And yes my tetanus shots are current :)

Finally if you need manure nothing beats a donkey or mule for predator defence and lots of manure.

Best of Luck to you!

Yes pop door is something like a 12" high 10" wide chicken door in a traditional coop that you open to let the chickens out, I don't use one or plan on needing one personally and to keep bedding in I'll put in a 12x1x4 board that I expect mine to just hop over. I wake up at sunrise anyway so I am there to let them out. They have automatic watering and 20lbs of hanging chicken feed so even were I to sleep in they are fine.

Roosts can be something as simple as 2x4's or treated landscaping timbers cut in half with the flat side up.

As far as bedding goes it is there to make a soft surface so hens don't a)injure themselves hoping off roosts to the floor and b) make poop removal either easy as with sand, or can be a ready made compost bin with around 8 inches of wood chips/leaf litter, you would just be raking in the poop every day or two to make it look more sanitary and to feed the compost in the lower layers.

With a little ingenuity you can make a coop very inexpensively and with a structural engineer mentality it can be very expensive.

I would consider these as priorities:
1)decide what flooring type you want to go with as they pop on the roosts.
2)get the roosts figured out before you get the birds.
3)nest boxes are needed once you have layers this can be done on the cheap.
4)if you have a mixed age flock with layers/non layers/rosters the primary feed needs to feed everyone, and you feed calcium supplements with crushed chicken shell or oyster shell separately trust us the bir1ds know to eat what they need. Layer feed is only appropriate if you have only a flock of mature layers.
5)decide if you want to have a pop door these can be set on timers to open/close.
6)Chicken can supplement much of their diet free ranging, but be prepared for some losses due to predation as every omnivore and carnivore that is hungry will eat them.

There are plenty more I didn't hit and have further questions for you.. they are:
Do you have welding and woodworking equipment +experience? I suspect you do.

Are you willing to scout for scraps such as pallets, metal scrap yards, and the local dump for discarded construction materials? if so you will find loads of items you can get for nearly free to make your project happen. I was fortunate nearly everything I needed for my coop was on site and I have a drainage ditch out back with loads of discarded lumber to repurpose. And yes my tetanus shots are current :)

Finally if you need manure nothing beats a donkey or mule for predator defence and lots of manure.

Best of Luck to you!
Wow thanks for detailed instructions yes i have every piece of equipment to work with,
My daughter just renovated her house so i collected pallets, wooden planks, cinder blocks. I will have to buy a roll of 1/2 inch 48x100 wire mesh cloth, some hinges and other stuff that you have listed out. I will spend where needed that is not a problem but if i can do it cheaper i will. A donkey is on my list too $250. I have 5 grand kids and i want them to learn and respect nature and animals.

Wow thanks for detailed instructions yes i have every piece of equipment to work with,
My daughter just renovated her house so i collected pallets, wooden planks, cinder blocks. I will have to buy a roll of 1/2 inch 48x100 wire mesh cloth, some hinges and other stuff that you have listed out. I will spend where needed that is not a problem but if i can do it cheaper i will. A donkey is on my list too $250. I have 5 grand kids and i want them to learn and respect nature and animals.
Oh just remembered a quick tip on the hardware cloth......angle grinder is much easier than using tin snips. And screws through a facepiece of lumber is much cheaper(and more secure) than the screw plus washers route for securing HC.

5EB3A8D6-6BE5-41F6-BBB0-DC251462978E.jpeg
Oh just remembered a quick tip on the hardware cloth......angle grinder is much easier than using tin snips. And screws through a facepiece of lumber is much cheaper(and more secure) than the screw plus washers route for securing HC.
Thanks again will do, we have sandy soil and very easy for animals to dig. I am thinking of putting a layer of hard wire on the floor too.Picture of a turtle that dug a hole in the ground.

I am thinking of putting a layer of hard wire on the floor too.
You'll want to use a heavier gauge mesh and bury it deep (12") can cause chicken foot damage, especially after it starts to rust and break up. Chickens can dig ungodly deep holes.

You could go with aprons too.
Good examples, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

BTW @Anjan Would you put your location in your profile?

You'll want to use a heavier gauge mesh and bury it deep (12") can cause chicken foot damage, especially after it starts to rust and break up. Chickens can dig ungodly deep holes.

You could go with aprons too.
Good examples, tho I'd not recommend 1/2" HC...go with 14ga 1x2 or 1x1, will hold up much longer and is easier to lay flat.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1110498/wire-around-coop#post_17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

BTW @Anjan Would you put your location in your profile?
I am betting it is South Carolina with all of that sand.

Back
Top Bottom